UNEP Administrative Officer Jobs in Nairobi Kenya
UNEP Administrative Officer Jobs in Nairobi KenyaOrg. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations System and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of UNEP's Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.
It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
This position is located in Nairobi. It encompasses sub-functional specialities such as human resource administration, planning, programming/budgeting, and implementing, monitoring and evaluation of business functions.
The Administrative Officer reports to the Chief, Administration Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resource Management:
• Initiates and coordinates actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Provides expert advice with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
• Represents the Department/Unit at Departmental Panels and appointment bodies.
• Reviews post incumbency reports for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control.
Budget and Finance:
• Initiates and conducts studies to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
• Monitors and controls budgetary allocations through regular reviews; drafts routine and ad hoc outputs; and provides effective monitoring reports and data. Identifies deviations from plans and proposes corrective measures.
• Establishes and maintains a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.
• Supervises a staff team and/or provide advice to others on human resource administration, financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
• Produces major/complex reports for management.
• Provides expert guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
• Performs other related duties as required, e.g., reviews of Secretariat offices and departments at headquarters/missions, operational travel programme, adequacy of departmental space requirements, and technology requirements.
• Performs other related work as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related field is required.
Experience in budget management is highly desirable.
Experience within the UN system or other international or public sector organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Administrative Officer Jobs in Nairobi Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.