UNDRR Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
UNDRR Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The internship is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of each office. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Responsibilities will depend on the individual's background, the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to
• Support to monitor and identify relevant content for publication on PreventionWeb and other UNDRR websites and social media accounts.
• Support the efforts towards the migration of PreventionWeb to a new platform.
• Format content, draft abstracts and summaries.
• Research and create resources guide on specific topics.
• Support social media campaigns.
• Support to develop communication materials based on good practices, impact example and achievements.
• Support in organization of events and meetings.
• Support the work related the DRR initiatives and campaigns including “Making Cities Resilient”, "International Day for Disaster Reduction", "World Tsunami Awareness Day", “Sendai Framework Voluntary Commitments” and “International Recovery Platform”.
• Support web-search, collecting and organizing information on DRR related subjects and activities by partners.
• Support proofreading of documents by partner organizations,
• Support development of relevant materials such as flyers and other public relations materials.
• Support social media campaigns; prepare presentations; support organization of events; web page updates; upload on PreventionWeb; prepare audiovisual content.
• Assist in editing and drafting messages, biographies, reports and articles.
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
• Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
• Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
• Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
• Demonstrates openness in sharing information and
keeping people informed
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
• Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
• Places team agenda before personal agenda
• Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
• Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
• Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
• Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
• Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
• Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
• Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
• Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
• Be computer literate in standard software applications;
• Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
• Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for this internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNDRR Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.