UNDRR Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNDRR Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The position is located in the UNDRR Regional Office for Africa in Nairobi. The incumbent reports to the Deputy Head of the Regional Office.
The incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
• Serves as the focal point for MCR (Making Cities Resilient) 2030 Regional Coordinating Committee Secretariat and liaises with the MCR-RCC members in the region.
• Assists in the coordination of actions with the partners of the MCR2030, including local and national governments, international organizations, financial institutions, networks of local governments, private sector entities and other partners of the MCR2030. Conducts due diligence, as prescribed, to enable new partners to join the MCR2030. Works with key partners to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Carries out basic research and coordinates selected aspects of programmes, urban risk reduction, operations of the Making Cities Resilient (MCR) 2030, the development of local disaster risk reduction strategies and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources. Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions. Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the partners will use to manage the change.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Ensures visibility and communication of impact of MCR2030 (including website management & dashboard content maintenance, news upload, development of newsletters, etc.). Assists in communication and advocacy efforts in other UNDRR led campaigns as needed and supports the production of communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, social media products, radio spot program, etc).
• Undertakes outreach activities; facilitates
and participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to disaster risk reduction and urban resilience. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in public or business administration, management, economics, urban and land-use planning, environmental management or related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in facilitating urban risk reduction related trainings and programmes is desirable.
Experience in disaster risk reduction, climate change, sustainable development or related areas is desirable.
Experience working in international organizations such as the United Nations is desirable.
English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
• For more information and job application details, see; UNDRR Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.