UNDP Regional Technical Specialist - Climate and Forests Jobs in Kenya
UNDP Regional Technical Specialist - Climate and Forests Jobs in KenyaDuties and Responsibilities
Provide high-quality technical and policy advisory services to national and sub-national counterparts on Climate and Forests matters
• Stay abreast of global and regional developments related to climate and forests and share knowledge within UNDP and with relevant partners;
• Contribute to efforts to position the Climate and Forests team as leaders on REDD+ Results Based-Payments and other innovative financing for the implementation of Article 5 of the Paris Agreement;
• Provide high-quality technical advice to UNDP Country Offices, development partners, national counterparts and sub-national partners;
• Ensure coordination with other related initiatives and mechanisms in the region;
• Advise the Principal Technical Advisor of trends and issues in the countries served and provide any additional assistance requested.
Provide implementation support to UNDP Country Offices and national counterparts for the Climate and Forests portfolio
• Provide high-quality implementation support and oversight to UNDP country offices and national counter parts to support the successful implementation of the portfolio, across all relevant sources of funds in the region;
• Provide quality assurance for relevant projects and initiatives;
• Ensure application of UNDP social and environmental standards, as well as, any other relevant safeguards or standards;
• Ensure mainstreaming of gender considerations in all key documents and processes;
• Maintain workplans, portfolio, and corporate information systems; and
• Ensure the timely preparation of semi/annual progress, final reports, and other oversight documentation as necessary.
Contribute to UNDP's efforts to raise Nature-Based ambitions in countries' Nationally Determined Contributions
• Contribute to efforts to position UNDP as a leader in supporting developing countries in integrating the implementation of REDD+, the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
• Collaborate with GPN colleagues to ensure UNDP Country Offices are provided with clear guidance on how REDD+ is a climate mitigation strategy that contributes to NDC targets;
• Assist Country Offices to coordinate various initiatives and programmes to ensure UNDP provides national counterparts with the best available guidance on efforts to raise Nature-Based ambitions;
• Provide advice to UNDP Country Offices and national counterparts, as requested, on NDCs and relevant UNFCCC negotiations relating to climate and forests.
Development, formulation, and review of programmes and projects with the associated resource mobilization when needed
• Work with partners to develop and formulate proposals in-line with requirements of donors and sources of funds;
• Coordinate the submission and approval of proposals in accordance with relevant operating procedures;
• Provide guidance in the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing;
• Liaise with potential financing agencies and institutions;
• Prepare Terms of Reference, identify, and evaluate experts, and review reports to source technical expertise and support;
• Provide guidance in the process of preparation, design, submission, and approval of program/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing;
• Build strategic initiatives and partnerships;
• Support the development of proposals for REDD+ Results-Based Payments (RBPs) and other sources of innovative finance;
• Mobilize additional resources under the UNDP global project for the Climate and Forests team.
Share Climate and Forests knowledge and communicate results
• Represent UNDP in
relevant fora and strategic initiatives, including UN inter-agency meetings as required;
• Support the UN's convening role by organizing and contributing to international events, such as policy dialogues and south-south exchanges;
• Share knowledge from international events with other members of the Climate and Forests team and build mechanisms for transfer of experience, lessons learnt and best practices;
• Contribute actively to the Global Policy Network, including relevant Communities of Practice and other UNDP corporate requirements;
• Contribute to the development of knowledge-based tools (including guidelines, articles, briefing notes etc.);
• Contribute lessons, experiences and stories for the Climate and Forests webpage and social media, as well as, other UNDP outlets.CompetenciesCore
• Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
• Ability to persuade others to follow.
• Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
• Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
• Ability to get things done.Technical/Functional
Forests and Development
• Knowledge of forestry and development and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations.
• Ability to plan, organize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
• Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
• Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
• Ability to prepare quality reports.
• Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources.
Results Based Management
• Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Advocacy and Representation
• Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).Required Qualification and Experience
• Master's degree in environmental management, international development, public policy or other closely related field;
• A Bachelor's degree in environmental management, international development, public policy, or other related fields with at least 7 years of relevant experience would be accepted;
• Certification in project management would be an added advantage.
• At least 5 years' relevant work experience, or 7 years of experience with a Bachelor's degree, working on Climate & Forest issues in developing countries is required;
• Demonstrated experience with project development, implementation and management;
• Experience in forest and biodiversity conservation issues, environment policies, and/or governance systems in the countries in the Africa region would be an asset in francophone Africa, especially the Congo Basin countries, is an advantage.Language Requirements
• Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills;
• Operational fluency in French is required;
• Working knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.How to Apply For more information and job application details, see; UNDP Regional Technical Specialist - Climate and Forests Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!