UNDP Knowledge Management, Monitoring and Communications Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNDP Knowledge Management, Monitoring and Communications Officer Jobs in KenyaBackground The Nairobi-based Global Policy Centre on Resilient Ecosystems and Desertification (GC-RED) is one of UNDP's Global Policy Centers. GC-RED manages the Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services Network (BES-Net), a capacity sharing 'network of networks' initiative that promotes dialogue and cooperation between science, policy and practice for effective BES management, contributing to long-term human well-being and sustainable development.
In partnership with the UN Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC), Phase I of BES-Net (2016-2020) has been contributing to the capacity building work of the Intergovernmental Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) through three inter-linked areas of work:
• Face-to-face capacity building support through Regional Trialogues: Trialogues bring together BES-Net's three target communities of science, policy and practice for face-to-face dialogues around the themes of the completed IPBES Thematic Assessments, particularly on pollinators/pollination and land degradation/restoration. Fostering mutual learning, inter-cultural understanding and interinstitutional coordination on specific policy-relevant questions at the national and regional levels, Trialogues strengthen the interface between these communities and enhance national capacity to integrate scientific findings of the IPBES assessments into policy, decision-making and on-the-ground practices;
• National Ecosystem Assessments (NEA): BES-Net supports the development of national capacity to conduct NEAs in selected countries, complementing the global assessment being undertaken by IPBES. Leveraging the expertise of the Sub-Global Assessment Network (SGAN), the NEA process encompasses not only the production of national assessment reports, but also the development of a set of policy support tools to integrate assessment findings into decision-making; and
• Online platform for global networking: The BES-Net web portal provides a comprehensive knowledge resource library on biodiversity and ecosystems services, and a rich database of organizations and experts working on the IPBES thematic assessment areas. The latest news and updates from BES-Net and its 100+ network partners are circulated via social media channels and disseminated through bi-monthly e-newsletters.
Building on the achievements of BES-Net Phase I to date, BES-Net Phase II is launching in 2020 with the aim to formalize the scientists-policymakers-practitioners partnership and strengthen synergy and complementarity in their BES-related decisions, actions and subsequent impacts in target countries. BES-Net Phase II will work jointly to support evidence-informed policy setting, strategic planning and the implementation of transformative solutions for BES protection in 18 countries. It will also up-scale the successful approaches of BES-Net Phase I, by promoting NEAs in four new countries and facilitating the Regional Trialogues in some 40 countries around the forthcoming BES thematic assessments to be produced by IPBES. The activities and results of the initiative will contribute to the implementation of the IPBES Work Programme and the IPBES Capacity-building Rolling Plan in partner countries. Experiences and achievements will be widely disseminated through the BES-Net online platform.
The Knowledge Management, Monitoring and Communications Officer is responsible for promoting, advocating and raising awareness of various key aspects of BES-Net Phase II, by refining and leading the implementation of the BES-Net knowledge management and communication strategy in close line with the initiative's results framework. In close coordination with the BES-Net Phase II consortium partners, including UNEP-WCMC and the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), (s)he will guide the counterparts in the target countries in setting results-based monitoring and reporting system; capture and consolidate the bright spot, or good practice, examples at national and regional levels regularly; and disseminate human-interest and results-oriented stories through a variety of innovative web-based/print vehicles, channels and formats.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the refinement, implementation and regular review of the BES-Net knowledge management and communication strategy, including the knowledge dissemination plan, in line with BES-Net Phase II objective, results framework and visibility requirements;
• Guide the BES-Net consortium and broader initiative team on the overall framework and procedures for effective and timely results monitoring, knowledge management and internal/external communication;
• Enhance communities of practice among the target countries to foster networking, mutual learning, cross-fertilization of experiences and peer support, using both face-to-face and online/virtual platforms;
• Identify, compile and synthesize prominent and compelling bright spots stories of the BES-Net initiative at different levels, assuring cross-cutting gender focus; and
• Perform the role of administrator of the BES-Net online tools and products and monitor their usability and accessibility regularly for constant improvement
Monitoring, Planning and Reporting
• Support the development and strengthening of the initiative's annual strategic planning at global, regional and national levels, ensuring alignment with the overall results framework;
• Provide inputs into results-based data collection, evidence generation and reporting processes in the target countries; and
• Support the target countries teams in packaging, circulating and communicating achievements, lessons learnt and impact stories
• Collate positive outcomes, good practices and lessons generated through the initiative into human-centered stories and disseminate in various innovative web-based/print formats;
• Foster and maintain strong relationships with key BES-Net partners by coordinating regularly, identifying the emerging areas of collaboration and extracting key news highlights to be featured through the BES-Net web portal, bimonthly newsletters and social media channels;
• Facilitate internal communication within the BES-Net consortium's respective focal persons to ensure communications tools and products, including, among others, logos, briefing notes, brochures, videos, infographics, etc., are effectively planned and developed as per corporate/BES-Net strategies;
• Support PR and media activities for ad-hoc thematic/component-specific events at national, regional and international levels;
• Contributes to periodic office/project progress reporting, officer-wide communication works and development of other strategic documents; and
• Prepare/edit high-quality communication products and materials, such as news releases, corporate blog posts, talking points, etc., as required.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Ability to originate or edit written content for media and the general public to be disseminated through press or other online outlets
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to strengthen partnership internally and externally, engaging and forge productive working relationships
Required Qualification and Experience
• Master's degree or equivalent advanced degree in communication, media relations, public relations, journalism or related field
• Minimum two (2) years of professional experience in the field of communication, media, journalism, public relations, monitoring and/or reporting or related field preferably at an international level
• Familiarity with topics related with the BES-Net initiative
• Excellent skills and strong experiences in writing, editing, designing and communication products and materials; professional written/oral communication experiences in the fields related to BES-Net initiative is desired
• Ability to work with digital platforms; past professional experiences with prominent social media platform(s) is an asset
• Previous work experience with UN or renowned multi-lateral organizations is desired
• Fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills is required
• Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNDP Knowledge Management, Monitoring and Communications Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.