UN Staff Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
UN Staff Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
This position is located in the Strategic Planning, Oversight and Results Division (SPORD).
The Staff Assistant reports to the Director of the Division.
Within delegated authority, the Staff Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists in the overall administration of the division, i.e. provides substantive and administrative support in managing priorities and work flow of the manager and of the work unit; coordinates and monitors multiple and diverse activities and work processes to ensure that management directives and decisions are properly carried out and products delivered in a timely manner.
• Compiles and analyzes basic data from a variety of sources (including Umoja), summarizing and presenting conclusions for review by manager.
• Serves as a communications link between supervisor and senior staff; on behalf of supervisor, keeps others informed by conveying directives, reports, status updates and other relevant information; brings sensitive and urgent matters to the attention of the manager.
• Takes full responsibility for time management and scheduling on behalf of manager with appropriate consultation as required; effectively prioritizes and resolves related conflicts and competing demands.
• Undertakes representational duties on behalf of the manager, to include serving as first point of contact and liaison with senior officials internally and externally.
• Screens and prioritizes all incoming correspondence; compiles relevant background documents and references; identifies issues requiring the manager's attention and refers others to relevant officer for appropriate disposition; monitors and follows-up on actions to be taken.
• Researches, compiles and summarizes background materials for use in preparation of reports, briefs, speeches, etc; scan reports from specialized agencies, as well as newspapers, magazine, periodicals and other information sources to identify articles of interest to the manager.
• Independently handles a wide range of complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answer requests requiring file or other research); responds, or drafts responses, to a diverse range of correspondence and other communications.
• Supports the manager in presentations to intergovernmental bodies and other meetings, researching issues, preparing briefing notes, slides and subject files, gathering relevant documentation, etc.
• Establishes/improves administrative procedures and systems to ensure smooth functioning of the department, including filing (paper and electronic) systems.
• Oversees work of office support staff; establishes priorities and deadlines, assigns work and reviews outputs upon completion; trains office support staff in administrative, protocol and other relevant procedures
• Organizes official receptions, meetings, etc., handling all necessary arrangements (e.g. room reservations, guest/participant lists, invitations, catering, seating arrangements, background documentation, special equipment, etc.).
Prepares, processes and classifies confidential information.
• Handles a wide range of administrative duties/processes (e.g. leave and attendance records, timesheets, travel arrangements, visa applications, expense statements, telecommunications charges, equipment purchase, service and supply requisitions, conference room bookings, etc.).
• Exercises quality control function for all outgoing documents; proofreads and edits texts for adherence for format, grammar, punctuation and style.
• Uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
• Manages, updates and further develops internal databases; updates website; generates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Must have passed the United Nations Global General Service Test (GGST).
Seven years of experience in general office support or related area is required.
Experience in servicing high level meetings including intergovernmental forums is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Staff Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.