UN Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UN Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in KenyaOrg. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Law Division works with international and non-governmental organizations, national and local governments, business and industry to develop and implement policies, strategies and practices that are cleaner and safer, incorporate environmental costs, use natural resources efficiently, reduce pollution and risks for humans and the environment, and enable the implementation of Conventions and international Agreements.
This post is located in the Law Division, OzonAction Branch - Africa Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director and the Head of OzonAction, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
General co-ordination and implementation of the OzonAction Compliance Assistant Programme (CAP) in Anglophone Africa
• Further develop and direct the CAP.
• Consult regularly with the Member States in the region, on issues relevant to Montreal Protocol in the framework of UNEP’s Implementing Agency mandate.
• Co-ordinates OzonAction projects and services with all countries of the region in the framework of UNEP's mandate.
• Ensure the necessary coordination with other international, regional and national organizations in the region.
• Prepare and implement the CAP projects and services and contribute to mobilizing resources from the Multilateral Fund.
• Organize and prepare documentation for meetings and conferences and finalize and transmit meeting reports to the Member States, governing bodies and other relevant national, regional and international institutions.
• Transmit to the Member States and donors, notifications and other information relevant to the implementation of OzonAction CAP in Anglophone Africa.
• Liaise with Governments, industry partners and international organizations to ensure their input into OzonAction activities.
• Communicate with the Ministers of Environment of the Anglophone Africa region on matters arising out of the Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol and subsidiary bodies, including the Multilateral Fund and its Executive Committee.
• Co-ordinate the OzonAction activities in Anglophone Africa undertaken by the CAP team in the Regional Office for Africa.
• Represent the OzonAction programme at relevant regional and international meetings.
• Act as a centre for the collection and dissemination of general information concerning the CAP programme in the region.
• Ensure dialogue and co-operation among Governments of the region.
General Management of the OzonAction CAP programme in Anglophone Africa
• Further develop and direct the work programme.
• Co-ordinate the preparation of meetings of the representatives of Governments (National Ozone Officers) under the CAP.
• Initiate, develop and prepare policies, strategies and guidelines to be presented to the member Governments under the CAP.
• Review CAP human and financial resource requirements for programme implementation and make recommendations to the governing bodies.
• Supervise utilization of the Multilateral Trust Fund in close cooperation with the Budget and Funds Management Service of the United Nations Office in Nairobi (UNEP).
• Implement the budgetary polices of OzonAction programme, determine priorities for budget allocation.
• Monitor and report the performance of activities and projects, and identify and address implementation bottlenecks.
• Assist the Regional Director, the Head of UNEP OzonAction and other heads of organizational units of UNEP in the formulation of policies, projects and activities.
• Perform other related duty as assigned.
• Professionalism Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of phase out of ozone depleting substances and compliance with the Montreal Protocol in the Anglophone Africa region.
• Teamwork Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Client Orientation Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Leadership Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
• Managing Performance Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, project management, economics, environmental sciences or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Knowledge of international donor programmes and experience with international policy setting processes is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.