UN Representative, Human Rights Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
UN Representative, Human Rights Jobs in Addis Ababa EthiopiaThis position is located in the Regional Office for East Africa of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The incumbent will report to the Director of the Field Operations and Technical Cooperation Division, under the overall authority of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Deputy High Commissioner.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties
• Leads/coordinates OHCHR support to the African Union and its organs with human rights mandates (i.e., the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the African Committee on Rights and Welfare of the Child) and represents the High Commissioner in that regard, as appropriate;
• Liaises with the African Union and with other partners in Addis Ababa and provides both short-term support to ongoing African Union operations and long-term capacity-building support in human rights;
• Works closely with the senior leadership of the African Union Commission including, as necessary, with the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Commissioners, as well as with members of the African Union Peace and Security Council;
Represents the High Commissioner and OHCHR on the African countries under her/his supervision and provides expertise on human rights issues
• Establishes and maintains relations with governments, state institutions, regional organizations, national human rights institutions, the diplomatic community, civil society, academic and research communities, the private sector and the media for the promotion and protection of human rights;
• Identifies fundraising opportunities and organizes meetings with donors and major partners to update them on the human rights situation and on the activities of the Office;
• Leads the formulation and implementation of a communications strategy and interaction with international and local media, in close cooperation and consultation with the Communications Section in Geneva;
• Monitors and Reports to the High Commissioner through the Director of the Division on a regular basis on mandate implementation and relevant human rights developments and the work of the Office in the region;
• Coordinates knowledge management efforts within the region including sharing of lessons learned and good practices.
Formulation of strategies to implement OHCHR's mandate and oversight/coordination of its implementation in the countries under her/his supervision
• Identifies the human rights developments and priorities in the African countries under her/his responsibility in conformity with the mandate of the Office as specified in the Host Country Agreement between OHCHR and the Government of Ethiopia;
• Formulates, guides and supervises the implementation of the substantive work programme in the region;
• Performs other duties, including supervising special projects.
Substantive coordination and managerial responsibilities
• Ensures the timely and effective provision of human rights expertise in the areas of his/her responsibilities to the needs of OHCHR, particularly its field operations in East Africa, and other parts of the UN as required.
• Directs and supervises the planning, support and evaluation of human rights field presences and missions in East Africa, including the formulation and development of best practices, procedural methodology and models for human rights activities in the field;
• Directs and oversees the development or strengthening of national human rights institutions and national human rights protection systems in East Africa;
• Directs and supervises the support to human rights components of UN peace missions in the area of human rights in East Africa;
• Coordinates and oversees the timely preparation of all reports of the Secretary-General, the High Commissioner and country specific Special Procedures mandate holders;
• Draws to the attention of the Division Director all pertinent information and recommendations emanating from fact-finding activities, giving particular attention to situations in which preventing human rights action might be appropriate;
• Direction, oversight and management of the Regional Office in Addis Ababa.
• In coordination with the Division Director and Chief, Africa Branch, ensures its effective financial and program management, including planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation;
Expert knowledge in the human rights or related (humanitarian, development, peacekeeping, etc.) fields;
good knowledge of the Africa region and the work of the United Nations and other international and regional actors in the region;
Knowledge of human rights issues and ability to identify related problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions.
Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures.
Knowledge of international humanitarian law.
Ability to identify, analyze and participate in the resolution of human rights issues.
Ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the human rights situation in the area of assignment.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments.
Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow.
Empowers others to translate vision into results.
Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions.
Drives for change and improvement; does not accept status quo.
Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly.
Gathers relevant information before making a decision.
Considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization.
Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
Checks assumptions against facts. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in law, human rights, political sciences, international relations or related area is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political sciences, international relations or related field is required.
Experience working in the United Nations Common System or other international or non-governmental organization, advocating for the promotion and protection of human rights in conflict or post-conflict environments is required.
Experience in advising senior governmental representatives on human rights is required.
At least 7 years of supervisory, management of teams and leadership experience is desirable.
Experience in the region of assignment is desirable.
French and English are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the position advertised, fluency in English and French are required.
Knowledge of other UN official languages and/or of the Africa region, is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Representative, Human Rights Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.