UN Humanitarian Affairs Officer Jobs in Kenya
UN Humanitarian Affairs Officer Jobs in KenyaOrg. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations systems designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level.
Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP's Africa Office works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This post is located in the United Nations Environment Programme Africa Office at the Nairobi duty station.
The incumbents will be under the direct supervision of the Chief, Post-Conflict and Disasters Management Branch (PCDMB) and overall supervision of the Regional Director Africa Office. Within delegated authority, the incumbents will be responsible for the following duties:
• Serves as a senior policy officer, advising UNEP, and particularly the UNEP Coordinator for the Disasters and Conflicts Sub-programme, on overall policy direction in the region on specific issues; and, more generally, reviewing and providing advice on a diverse range of policy issues in the region related to humanitarian affairs as they relate to the environment;
• Coordinates the regional input into UNEP's programming related to the environmental dimension of crisis risk reduction and post-crisis initiatives;
• Serves as the primary UNEP focal point in the region on the environmental dimension of crisis risk reduction and post-crisis initiatives and related policy issues, drawing on knowledge of the impact of humanitarian activities on the environment; keeps abreast of latest developments; liaises with other humanitarian organizations an donors;
• Monitors, analyses and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management programmes or emergency situations in assigned country/area, identifying where best an environmental dimension is warranted;
• Facilitates a coordinated approach in the region to the environmental dimension within international humanitarian/emergency assistance of complex emergency/disaster situations and in large, complex projects; ensures necessary support (such as staff, funding, specialized equipment or supplies, among others); prepares situation reports to the international community, apprising of situation to date and specifying unmet requirements of stricken countries;
• Assists in the integration of an environmental dimension to the production of appeals within the UN system for international assistance; ensures the proper use and spending of donor contributions channelled through OCHA in relation to the environmental dimension of such assistance;
• Coordinates in collaboration with the relevant UNEP division(s), UNEP's work in the region to assist Member States in capacity-building, technical cooperation and technical assistance for handling the environmental dimension of emergency situations and disaster response preparedness; develops region and country specific recommendations based on the analysis of pertinent information;
• Ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting on UNEP's work in the region related to the environmental dimension of crisis risk reduction and post-crisis; Organizes and prepares strategies on the environmental aspects of humanitarian, emergency relief and related issues for the region; organizes follow-up work in the region, including inter-agency technical review meetings to support policy development work and decision-making on important issues; and ensures the implementation of recommendations emanating from relevant reports;
• Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions or media, among others; ensures appropriate mechanisms to facilitate collaboration and exchange of information both in and outside the UN system, including on early warning and contingency planning, as it relates to the interface of the; environment and humanitarian activities;
• Organizes and participates in relevant work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters;
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Professionalism Knowledge of the environmental dimension of a wide range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related human rights issues. Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, to include ability to analyse and articulate the humanitarian dimension of complex issues that require a coordinated UN response. Demonstrated problem-solving skills and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of complex issues/problems. Knowledge of region or country of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions. Ability to negotiate and to influence others to reach agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to environment and humanitarian affairs and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system. Demonstrated ability to complete in-depth studies and to formulate conclusions/recommendations. Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political, economic, social and human rights programmes in affected country/region.
• Communication Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Client Orientation Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in environment or development related field is required.
A first university degree with a combination of two additional years professional and academic qualifications may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Supplementary training in Disaster Risk Reduction is highly desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, rehabilitation, development, or post conflict issues in Africa is required.
Experience in Disaster management and post-conflict issues in Africa is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English required.
Oral and written French is highly desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Humanitarian Affairs Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.