UN Gender Affairs Officer Jobs in Juba South Sudan
UN Gender Affairs Officer Jobs in Juba South Sudan This position is located in the Gender Affairs Unit in the United Nations Mission in Southern Sudan (UNMISS), in Juba.
The Gender Affairs Officer reports to the Chief of Gender Affairs Unit/Senior Gender Advisor.
Within delegated authority, the Gender Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Supports and guides mission implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) and the Policy on DPKO/DFS Gender Equality in Peacekeeping Operations.
• Supports and guides mission level implementation of the UN system wide Gender Parity strategy.
• Assisted by designated gender focal points, supports all mission components with the formulation and implementation of policies and programmes promoting gender sensitive approaches and combating gender- based violence.
• Drafts, edits and provides substantive inputs for periodic reports, briefings and speeches on women, peace and security issues.
• Supports the delivery of gender training for all levels of civilian and uniformed personnel in the mission.
• Conducts substantive research and analysis of gender issues in peacekeeping operations, utilizing analytical monitoring and evaluation processes, including indicators and benchmarks, to ensure measurement of progress in gender mainstreaming in peacekeeping activities.
• Collaborates with UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes, as with relevant institutions and NGOs, and regularly participates in inter-agency coordination forum.
• Represents the Mission on gender related issues when needed.
• Establishes working relationships with all mission pillars and sections.
• Provides inputs to planning processes, including results-based budgeting (RBB) and reporting.
• Provides day-to-day supervision of one staff member.
• Provides substantive guidance to, and coordinates the substantive work of the designated mission gender focal points.
• Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge of the work of the United Nations, expertise in the field of Women Rights, International Human Rights Law, Human Rights, International Relation, together with a thorough understanding of the concepts and practices related to gender equality, particularly gender mainstreaming and programing in conflict settings.
Knowledge of UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security; Demonstrated drafting, monitoring and reporting skills; ability to adapt to hardship missions and remote locations.
Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, formulate options, draw conclusions and make effective recommendations, particularly in relation to addressing the rights and needs of women and girls in post-conflict situations;
ability to formulate policy advice, position papers and reports for the attention of senior managers.
Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment. Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines related to gender issues.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
Identifies priority activities and assignments;
Adjusts priorities as required;
Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
Uses time efficiently.
Communication (please add)
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in development studies, social studies in International Relations, Human Rights Law, Gender Studies, or in a related area.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least seven years of progressively responsible policy advice and programme management experience related to the promotion of gender equality particularly with UN or international organizations in conflict or post-conflict settings required.
Proven expertise for integrating gender perspectives into mainstream policies or programmes required.
Experience working in or in support of a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of Arabic language is desirable.
Previously rostered candidates are not subject to any further assessment and as such, will not be invited for such an assessment.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Gender Affairs Officer Jobs in Juba South Sudan
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.