The Freedom Fund Senior Program Manager Jobs in Kenya
The Freedom Fund Senior Program Manager Jobs in Kenya
About the position The Freedom Fund is seeking a Senior Program Manager to oversee the expansion of its programs in East Africa. This is an exciting role for an ambitious leader and experienced technical expert with a background working in human rights and development, especially on issues such as child labour, gender, forced child marriage, FGM and community-based normative change. The initial priority for the role will be to launch the
Fund’s first new program in the region outside Ethiopia, with a likely focus on forced child marriage in Kenya.
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for identifying possible intervention strategies and locations, engaging with potential grassroots partners, inviting proposals from implementing NGOs, and recruiting a small team to manage the program. Following the inception phase, s/he will oversee efforts to measure the program’s impact, refine intervention strategies, and support research and learning on behalf of the wider anti-slavery sector.
The Senior Program Manager will also work with the Freedom Fund’s Partnerships team to develop new programs in the East Africa region on issues such as exploitative child domestic work, child labour, and forced labour. The post will initially manage a small team of 2-3 staff, with the possibility of growing the team in future.
• Oversee the development of a new East Africa ‘hotspot’ program, with a likely focus on forced child marriage in Kenya.
• Research and develop intervention strategy together with potential partners and external stakeholders and manage process of soliciting and funding proposals from grassroots NGOs.
• Recruit team of 2-3 staff to manage program.
• Monitor program strategy, impact and performance against objectives.
• Identify, commission and oversee relevant technical assistance and capacity enhancement for local grassroots partners.
• Engage with donors, peer organisations and experts on behalf of the Freedom Fund.
• Represent the Freedom Fund in Nairobi and explore options for registering a local office.
• Working with the Freedom Fund’s Research and Evaluation team, commission and manage program
evaluations by independent research institutions and ensure that lessons are appropriately shared and acted upon.
• Ensure quality internal reporting and external communications about the Freedom Fund’s work.
• Work with the Freedom Fund’s Partnerships team to develop new opportunities, strategies and funding for programs tackling modern slavery in the East Africa region.
• Other tasks as required in support of Freedom Fund program objectives. Depending on the outcome of a current bid, the Senior Program Manager may also provide support to a program on exploitative child domestic work in Nigeria and Liberia.
Qualifications and experience
• At least ten years of experience managing human rights or development programs, with at least seven years working in
the East Africa region.
• Significant experience working with grassroots NGOs and community groups.
• Experience working on modern slavery or related issues, including forced child marriage, child
protection, forced labour, and exploitative child domestic work.
• Experience designing program intervention strategies.
• Experience preparing and managing budgets.
• Demonstrated people leadership skills and line management experience.
• Experience managing donor relationships and raising funding to support program priorities.
• Right to work in Kenya.
• Advanced degree.
• Grant-making experience.
• Track record of advocating at a high level with government.
• Experience of community based normative and behaviour change campaigns.
• Knowledge of languages other than English.
• Team player committed to the Freedom Fund’s values and passionate about human rights.
• Highly developed networking skills, and ability to build relationships with a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently, displaying strong initiative in solving day-to-day problems with limited direction.
• Ability to motivate and support direct reports and build a high functioning team.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English; additional languages desirable.
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively (estimated 25%, tbc).
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter (maximum one page) and contact details of two professional referees, one of which must be the applicant’s current / most recent line manager or current / most recent Head of HR.
Please send applications by email in PDF format to
firstname.lastname@example.org, including ‘Senior Program Manager’ in the subject line before 9.00am GMT on Tuesday, 11 January 2022.
Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No agencies please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Kenya without sponsorship or relocation by the Freedom Fund.
The Freedom Fund is an equal opportunities employer. In line with our values of respect, agility and excellence, we value the strength of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, LGBT+ and from different socio-economic backgrounds.
The Freedom Fund is committed to the importance of meaningful survivor inclusion and leadership. As such, particular consideration will be given to applicants with lived experience of trafficking and/or forms of modern slavery.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.