Save the Children International Health Systems Strengthening Advisor Jobs in Kenya
Save the Children International Health Systems Strengthening Advisor Jobs in KenyaJob DetailsThe Save the Children Fund, commonly known as Save the Children, is an international non-governmental organization that promotes children's rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries.
The role holder will be responsible for overall technical leadership and guidance for developing and implementing a broad health system-strengthening framework to improve organization and delivery of nutrition & health services in the NAWIRI project.
The Health systems strengthening (HSS) Advisor will work to embed sustainability mechanisms for stronger county health systems in the project.
He/she will be responsible for implementation of Health Systems Strengthening component in close liaison with the Nutrition & Health Technical Lead, the Field Director, the other technical advisors and the rest of the project team.
She/he will work the County Management Health Teams (CMHT), and other counterparts in health & nutrition service delivery.
In addition, he/she has overall responsibility for the strategic management of the project's implementation and operation activities, in accordance with Save the Children's policies and practices, its vision, mission and values.
NAWIRI is a 5 year U.S. Government (USAID and Food for Peace) funded project designed to tackle persistent acute malnutrition rates in northern Kenya.
The project is co-created, co-implemented, and co-measured to address problems and solve them at the county level.
Save the Children is a member of the Mercy Corps-led consortium and will be implementing in Samburu and Turkana counties. .
Key Areas of Accountability
Technical assistance and capacity building
• Provide programmatic and strategic leadership, setting priorities in designing and managing the implementation of NAWIRI activities in collaboration with the other technical advisors and the implementation team.
• Provide overall technical guidance and leadership for implementation of health & nutrition HSS activities.
• Provide leadership for Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement measures in child survival and nutrition.
• Contribute to the capacity building of NAWIRI, MoH staff and CHVs competences in HSS for quality & sustainable service provision.
• Review and analyze data for performance monitoring and utilize the data to take corrective actions
• Ensure that the project receives adequate support services from the Country Office support functions (supply chain, HR, Admin, Awards and Finance) to deliver high quality programmes .
• Ensure that the Monthly Awards Progress Review Meetings are held in a timely manner and minutes sent to Awards Manager and DPO.
• Ensure that the principles of child safeguarding and 'do no harm' is embedded in all programme planning, implementation and reporting and that staff receive regular, up to date training on it. Ensure transparency in targeting beneficiaries, delivery of services and participation of beneficiaries and partners in planning and monitoring of process is reflected in programme delivery
• In close coordination with Award and Finance Units, ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget
• Ensure compliance with all grant provisions and timely fulfilment of all project programmatic reporting requirements including donor reports and internal reports such as pipeline analyses and monthly reports.
• Oversee the development and successful implementation of work plans linked to indicators and budget for the project;
• Oversee timely expenditure of approved budgets, avoiding under both spending and overspending on grant line items, and implementing plans for expenditure modification.
• Coordinate activities and prepare annual results report, resource requests, quarterly reports and pipeline analyses
Representation and advocacy
• Represent NAWIRI in relevant internal and external fora including donor meetings (as appropriate)
• Represent Save the Children in relevant internal and external fora including donor meetings (as appropriate)
• Work closely with the Head of Health and Nutrition, Head of Advocacy and Campaigns, PDQ and operations teams to develop policy research and advocacy strategy in child survival and nutrition in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
• Work with consortium members to further Save the Children's mission for children
People management, mentoring and development
• Have overall management responsibility for the direct reports. Lead and motivate the team to ensure effective project implementation.
• Manage the direct reports; define expectations, provide leadership and support as needed, and evaluate performance regularly
• Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate; ensure availability of and support appropriate professional development opportunities for staff in NAWIRI
• Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process.
Qualifications and Experience
• Master's degree or higher in public health, or related field.
• Minimum of eight years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility managing designing and implementing large and complex public health programs, ideally in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Experience leading a highly successful health systems strengthening program in Kenya or in a similar setting.
• Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of decentralized nutrition and health delivery programs within Africa
• Five years plus of experience demonstrating technical expertise in health systems strengthening activities, as well as integration with several areas including: nutrition; WASH; community malaria/family planning/maternal and child health programs; quality improvement/quality assurance; gender; and the use of health-related data in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
• A minimum of three years of experience managing and supervising a team
• Proven experience building capacity of programs with local NGOs and government bodies in country and working collaboratively with partners and/or key stakeholders.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of the local language and context will be a distinct advantage
• Proven experience and skills in research and advocacy and influencing institutional, private and/or corporate donors and writing up high quality donor reports
• Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff.
• Willingness to be based in the Samburu for months at a time, with frequent travel to project offices and field sites within the county
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
• Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international and matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
• Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
• Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
• Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
• Demonstrates Save the Children's core values of accountability, collaboration, integrity, ambition, and creativity.
How to Apply
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at https://kenya.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Those who responded to the previous advertisement need not re-apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.