Resource Associates Limited Head, Operational Risk Jobs in Kenya
Resource Associates Limited Head, Operational Risk Jobs in Kenya
Our client, The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK), is responsible for formulating monetary policy to
achieve and maintain price stability. The Central Bank also promotes financial stability; an effective and efficient payment, clearing and settlement system; formulates and implements foreign exchange policies; holds and manages foreign exchange reserves; issuing of currency; and is the banker for, adviser to and fiscal agent of the Government.
The Head of Operational Risk will report to the Director, Financial Markets and their role will be to support the Director, Financial Markets in the effective and proactive management of operational risks at an integrated level within the Department. The role holder will be responsible for Operational Risk Management within the department including design and implementation of appropriate processes and procedures.
In addition, the role entails;
• Leading and directing the Operational Risk function to achieve the Department strategic
• Designing, Implementing, and monitoring of operational risk management frameworks and
processes within the Department
• Monitor and validate the quality and consistency of operational risk processes across the
• Continuously improve the operational risk processes with the intention of adding value to the Department whilst introducing practices that are fit for purpose in line with business strategy
whilst at the same time mitigating risk.
• Apprise the Director FMD fully on the operational risk status.
• Ensure that training and development on Risk Management is offered to staff on a regular
• Identifying and managing risk for each business process in the Financial Markets Department
• Development of key risk indicators in reserves and debt management
• Responsible for analysis of key risk drivers; people, process, systems, and external events
• Maintenance and updating of department operations manual
• Promote compliance to operational risk policies.
• Encourage a high level of awareness of operational risk in the business.
• Provide a central point of reference and expertise in operational risk matters to the
• Assist in the analysis of information and reports to establish trends and consider initiatives to reduce risk.
• Identify major operational risks affecting the Department and take necessary steps to measure,
monitor and control accordingly.
• Participate in the Department’s business processes, initiatives, forums, committee, etc. to
ensure that operational risk requirements are appropriately considered, executed and reported Information Risk.
• Ensure pro-active management of information risks.
• Manage and track information risk control efforts and escalation to Head of FMD where inadequate mitigation is evident.
• Promote compliance to information risk governance standards and policies.
• Create risk metrics and reports for Head of FMD at required frequencies.
• BCM Governance – Policy Enforcement and Programme Administration
• Business Impact Assessment & Risk Assessment
• Business Continuity Strategy
• Business Continuity Planning
• Exercising and Testing
• Maintenance and Review
• Training and Awareness
• Monitors, Promote and maintains an understanding of current/future business continuity trends and threats.
• Ensure full implementation of Risk governance framework, including the administration of Risk
governance documents (i.e., policies, procedures, mandates) across all risk types – Credit,
Market and Operational Risk.
• Implement assurance function cutting across all risk types in conjunction with Operational Risk
and Operations Control.
Key performance measures
• The quality and improvement in Internal Audit and Risk Assurance reports.
• Improved quality of Operational Risk tools – Incident Reports, RCSAs and KRIs - in risk
• BCM documentation maintained and Integrated BCM/ testing – delivering against BCM Programme of Work.
• Loss control – effective root cause analysis, escalation process effective, data quality in place and control environment improved through analysis on incidents.
• Quality of risk assurance support on change initiatives being rolled out
• Effective root – cause analysis for losses (also, deal with behavioral causes).
• Completion of high-quality assurance reports in a timely manner
• Demonstration of existence of framework, tools, and metrics for consolidation of
• Reports to stakeholders on risk status on a regular basis.
• Evidence of risk awareness campaigns, policies, and procedures in place across the Department & escalation of risk issues by front line staff.
• Timely escalation of Operational Risk Matters /concerns.
Other Key Responsibilities
The ability to identify and understand the Department needs and strategies and then to
interpret and convert these into operational risk strategies.
The need to identify the long term operational needs to support the Department effort.
Handle authority expediently, be orientated towards immediate accomplishments and to be a
The ability to meet tight deadlines and to satisfy the Department’s customer service requirements in an environment laced with a wide variety of problems and unexpected challenges.
Delivering Results - Effectively manage your time and resources to ensure that objectives are
achieved, and projects are delivered on time.
Encourage others to seek novel and innovative approaches to addressing problems and
opportunities. Facilitate the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Consider all the facts, options, and possible outcomes prior to making decisions.
Quick to act upon potential opportunities and take the initiative within limits of authority
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics, Banking or a similar field.
Professional qualification in a relevant field of study e.g. CPA, ACCA, CFA, CAIA are an
In depth technical knowledge and experience of Financial and Capital Markets, Banking and relevant emerging issues such as:
• National, regional and international regulatory and statutory requirements;
• Foreign exchange management and operations;
• Risk Management;
• Treasury management.
Must be a Kenyan citizen.
Should be a member of relevant professional bodies with good standing.
A minimum of Eight (8) years’ experience in a Risk and Operations role; Five (5) Years’ experience in a Managerial position leading and driving Operational Risk management within a large player in the Financial Services sector.
• Risk management
• Pricing and evaluation
• Accounting and taxation implications
• Financial markets payments
• Financial Markets emerging issues
• National, regional and international statutory trading requirements
• Foreign exchange management and operations
• Treasury management
• Debt management
• Money markets
• Market analysis
• Banking laws and regulations
• Central Banking Operations
• Analytical –highly analytical and ability to challenge status quo based on quantitative facts
• Stakeholder Management
• Report writing
• High level of networking
Behavioural/ General Competencies
Leadership and management-ability to lead teams, mentor and coach staff to goal definition and achievement
People management skills, including teambuilding, motivation, team goal planning and the ability to use team expertise to full advantage;
Decision making; ability to make strategic decisions in a timely and effective manner
Professionalism; maintains a professional approach based on ethics and CBK values
Integrity and honesty and ethics; ensures ethical practices and integrity and ensures CBK is not put at reputational risk
Building consensus and influencing; ability to influence various players across all CBK
Good verbal and written communication skills;
Customer service orientated-striking a solid balance between external and internal customer
Resilience; ability to withstand strategic and operational challenges and maintain momentum
Emotional Intelligence; manages emotions in a mature and composed manner as expected of a leader.
• Must be a Kenyan.
• Should be a member of relevant professional bodies with good standing.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Resource Associates Limited Head, Operational Risk Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.