OCHA Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
OCHA Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) coordinates the global emergency response to save lives and protect people in humanitarian crises.
The Information Management Unit (IMU) is responsible for strengthening the information management capacity of OCHA ROSEA (Regional Office for Southern and Eastern Africa) in both disaster preparedness and response. The IMU provides coordination and leadership in the application of information management in disaster preparedness and response, helping to assure that the information resources and information management expertise required by OCHA to function effectively in emergencies is available; and build sustainable partnerships in advance of disasters that directly contribute to the predictable exchange of information in emergencies.
This internship will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, and the intern will be under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Information Management Team’s Leader. The internship is being offered for a minimum period of three months, with a possibility of extension up to a maximum period of six (6) months, starting as soon as possible.
In general, the intern will support OCHA in fulfilling its mission to coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention; and facilitate sustainable solutions.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background and will be related to information management, where s/he will become familiar with international humanitarian emergency response mechanisms.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
• Support Who-What-Where databases, Contact Lists, Email distribution lists and humanitarian key figures update.
• Support OCHA ROSEA humanitarian response website updates - meeting calendar, document uploads etc.
• Support production of OCHA ROSEA graphics products.
• Support maintenance of the geographic data repository.
• Support migration of existing datasets into new database templates and support organization of files, undertake research and collection of key humanitarian datasets from variety of sources under
guidance of IMOs.
• Any other duties as may be requested by Head of the Communications and Information Management Unit and the Information Management Team’s Leader.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in
sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view, Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with, clients by gaining their trust and respect, Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the, clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems, Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects, Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
• Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation from an academic programme. Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
The university degree must be in one of the following areas:
• Geographic Information System (GIS). Information Management Information Technology, Graphics Design, or in a related field.
• No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French or Arabic is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; OCHA Intern - Public Information Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.