MRC/UVRI Senior Scientist Statistician/ Deputy Head of Statistics Jobs in Uganda
MRC/UVRI Senior Scientist Statistician/ Deputy Head of Statistics Jobs in UgandaJob Purpose: The position provides senior scientific oversight of statistical and epidemiological aspects of ongoing and proposed research studies, mentoring section members, management of the Statistics and Data Management section alongside the section head.
The job holder will provide statistical expertise and leadership during the development of funding proposals and scientific publications, and lead statistical aspects of the design, coordination and analysis of research studies.
As deputy Head of Section the post will provide oversight, supervision and mentorship to junior colleagues in the section, and contribute to operational and strategic management within the section.
Specific Roles & Responsibilities
• To provide statistical expertise and leadership during the development of funding proposals and scientific publications, and lead statistical aspects of the design, coordination and analysis of research studies.
• To provide oversight, supervision and mentorship to more junior colleagues in the section. •To provide mentorship and supervision of postgraduate and post-doctoral trainees
• To organize and contribute to the section’s teaching and training activities such as short courses and workshops
• To contribute to the section's collegial environment and academic activities including through teaching and training activities and participation in regular academic/journal club meetings.
• To contribute to operational and strategic management within the section
• To serve as an academic advocate for the section and as a senior Unit representative in interactions with national and international stakeholders.
• Oversee all data access and sharing, ensure formal material and data transfer or equivalent agreements and ethics approvals for sharing are in place before any data are shared with third parties.
• Review and input into internal and external grant proposals.
• Ensure appropriate contributions from projects are budgeted for in new research applications with support from Unit Research Support Office.
• Build research capacity in Uganda through training and mentoring junior staff, including MSc/PhD students and post-docs.
• To engage with and contribute to the wider LSHTM community beyond the Unit, including as a Unit academic representative on the LSHTM IT Governance Board.
• Disseminate research outputs through high-impact publications.
• Collaborate with Unit and external researchers in a leading role
• Assist the Head of Section in other management matters, and to stand in in their absence.
Note: Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties which are commensurate with the broad responsibilities of this senior role within the section.
• A PhD in medical statistics or closely related subject.
• Bachelors and Masters degrees in Statistics or closely related subject.
• At least 7years’ experience working as a statistician in clinical research and/or epidemiology.
• Experience contributing to grant writing and/or study protocols.
• Experience contributing to training and supervision, e.g. interns, diploma or BSc degree students.
• Experience writing Data Management and Statistical Analysis Plans and presenting final study reports.
• Experience working with specialised database software such as OpenClinica, ODK, REDCap, Access or similar.
• At least one research grant won as Principal Investigator is desired.
• Strong research profile demonstrated through substantial peer-reviewed publications in health-related research including at least 3 first and/or senior authorship in the last 5 years.
• A proven track record as main statistician on research studies and ability to shape the design and analysis of ongoing projects.
• Contribution to internal ‘citizenship’, e.g. communication and engagement activities, committees, leadership of journal clubs etc.
• Good understanding of the data management role and procedures in clinical research.
• Excellent statistical programming skills using STATA or equivalent statistical analysis software.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; MRC/UVRI Senior Scientist Statistician/ Deputy Head of Statistics Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.