MRC/UVRI Head of Estates & Transport Jobs in Uganda
MRC/UVRI Head of Estates & Transport Jobs in UgandaOverall Job Purpose: The Head of Estates & Transport leads the Unit’s Estates department which is responsible for managing and maintaining the Unit’s estate.
This includes mechanical and electrical facilities across all Unit field stations in Uganda.
The post-holder ensures efficient use of resources to provide a safe, functional and reliable estates infrastructure and services.
The post-holder supports business continuity and oversees and mitigates risk to the Unit’s estate and facilities as well as staff by ensuring preventative maintenance, servicing, repairs and strategic new investments are completed cost-effectively and to a high standard.
This also involved oversight and management of all of the Unit’s construction projects across its field stations, in the field and at partnering institutions ensuring these are delivered to expectation, within expected timelines and within the allocated budget.
The role further frequently involves overseeing the work of external contractors carrying out work at the Unit.
The position reports to and works closely with the Director of Estates (London) on the Units Strategy & Development.
The job holder will manage and develop the Estates Team to ensure that a first class service is provided to its stake holders.
The position holds responsibility and overview of the Units Estates, ensuring health and safety of employees, students and visitors to the Unit.
The post-holder also oversees the Unit’s staff and visitor accommodation.
This includes developing and refining the housing business plan to achieve an operational surplus.
In addition, the post-holder oversees the efficient and reliable running of the Unit’s Transport department.
This includes the provision of a customer-oriented, cost-effective, safe and reliable transport for goods, staff, visitors and at times research participants.
The post-holder is expected to implement and oversee an efficient fleet management system.
The post-holder is expected to collect and present reliable performance data for both departments in the form of formal reports or ad hoc updates to inform the Unit’s senior management’s decision making.
The principal duties of the post-holder are managing and maintaining the Unit’s estate and delivering a cost-effective, safe and reliable transport service through the following;
• Working towards UK requirements, ensure all statutory testing is complete and certification available. Manage the Estate ensuring all fixtures and fittings are appropriately maintained in accordance with the priority agreed. Develop the preventative maintenance programme to ensure that statutory requirements are followed.
• Developing an Asset data base for the Unit which will be continually updated. From the data base calculate backlog maintenance costs and replacement costs for budgetary purposes.
• Produce an annual budget for Estates and Transport to be presented and agreed with the Unit COO.
• Take responsibility for managing, monitoring and controlling the Estates budget as determined by the Estates Director (London).•Ensuring compounds, buildings, electrical and mechanical installations, refrigeration (fridges, freezers, air-conditioning) are all working and are fit for purpose
• Develop, implement and review periodically the Unit’s Estates Strategy and Master Plan in close collaboration with the Director of Estates (London) and the Unit COO.
• Conducting preventative maintenance and servicing schedules are carried out as planned.
• Ensuring specialised facilities are operational, including liquidnitrogen (LN2) plants and freezer room
• Safeguard business continuity by maintaining backup solutions for critical services and installations (e.g. electricity, LN2, etc.)•Overseeing that new construction projects are completed to expectation, in accordance with LSHTM governance framework and within budget and timelines. This includes projects within the field stations and Unit projects at collaborating sites and in the field.
• Supporting competitive selection of third-party contractors on the principle of value for money.
• Overseeing work of third-party contractors on Unit estates projects and ensure contractual obligations are met.
• Advising research staff during project and estates works planning as needed.
• Undergraduate qualification in a relevant field.
• Master’s in construction, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualification is desired.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Estates, Facilities or Civil Engineering in a managerial role (i.e. with direct staff responsibility).
• Experience managing complex infrastructure projects.
• Project management experience.
• Experience overseeing delivery of capital work through third-party contractors.
• Demonstrate successful record of budgetary control and management.
• Experience delivering projects >$500k, delivering projects in grant-funded financial environment are an added advantage.
• Experience providing estates services across geographically dispersed locations is also an added advantage.
• Ability to coordinate highly diverse stakeholder groups.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Excellent analytical skills and ability to trouble shoot complex issues.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient in using MS Office skills.
• Working knowledge of construction management software is desired
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; MRC/UVRI Head of Estates & Transport Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.