MRC/UVRI Head of Clinical Laboratory Services Jobs in Uganda
MRC/UVRI Head of Clinical Laboratory Services Jobs in UgandaOverall Job Purpose: The Head of Clinical Laboratories leads the Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Services (CDLS) and Frozen Specimen Archives (FSA) departments which operate across the Unit’s urban and rural sites in Uganda, including Entebbe, Kampala, Masaka and Kyamulibwa.
This role includes overseeing the Unit’s Haematology, Biochemistry/Serology, Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics laboratories. The post-holder also oversees the Unit’s Frozen Specimen Archives/Biorepository which is a collection of biological specimen of human and non-human origin
The Head of Clinical Laboratories reports to and works closely with the Unit Chief Operating Officer to ensure the service provided supports the Unit’s scientific and operational strategy.
They hold responsibility and overview of the Unit’s Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Services, ensuring health and safety of employees, students and visitors to the department.
In addition, the post-holder ensures value-for-money is achieved in all areas and a viable business model for CDLS is maintained and operates smoothly through interactions with the Unit’s Research Support Office, Human Resources, Procurement, Finance departments and Principal investigators.
The post-holder is expected to collect and present reliable performance data for CDLS and FSA/biorepository in the form of formal reports or ad hoc updates to inform the Unit’s senior management’s decision making. The post-holder will manage and develop the CDLS team to ensure that a first class, compliant service is provided to its stakeholders..
The principal duties of the post-holder are to support the delivery of the Unit’s scientific strategy and objectives by ensuring the Unit’s laboratory services operate at accredited standards and deliver a cost-effective and timely service to Unit research projects through the following;
Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Service (CDLS)
• Provide clinical diagnostic testing services that the support the Unit’s research portfolio across all Unit sites.
• Manage the Unit’s clinical laboratories which include the following: Haematology, Biochemistry/Serology, Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics.
• Manage department activities in line with budget and operate an effective cost-recovery model from research projects and partners (with support of Finance department).
• Oversee procurement and stock levels of laboratory supplies ensuring that value-for-money is achieved and that wastage is minimized (with support of Procurement and Stores).
• Oversee testing capacity and forecast demand for clinical laboratory testing and put in place appropriate laboratory staff levels accordingly (with support from HR and Unit COO)
• Ensure national clinical laboratory accreditation is upheld and renewed as required; liaise with regulatory bodies and agencies as required.
• Ensure laboratories are working towards international standards and requirements and that staff have the required certification to work in a clinical diagnostic laboratory
• Ensure quality control systems are implemented across all clinical laboratories, including execution of regular External Quality Control (EQA) for specific test.
• Identify and maintain relationships with appropriate referral laboratories as needed
• Ensure quality and security of clinical test data meets sponsor, donor and regulatory requirements.
• Support the Unit’s Clinical Trial portfolio in compliance with international standards (GCP, GCLP) and Sponsor requirements.
• Ensure the Unit complies with and maintains accreditation with ISO15189, including the specific requirement of continuous process, quality and service improvements
• Maintain an effective complaints and corrective actions procedure for the clinical laboratory services.
• Provide external services to third parties for laboratory media, tests and diagnostic services and ensure such arrangements are formalized through service agreements (with the support of the Procurement department).
• Develop and keep updated business continuity plans for the laboratories; support Unit/LSHTM business continuity activities as needed.
• Ensure CDLS policies and SOPs are up-to-date and fit for purpose
• Overseeing work of third-party collaborators and contractors on Unit projects within CDLS and ensure contractual obligations are met.
• PhD Degree in Science, or equivalent experience, from an accredited University with experience in management of clinical and research laboratories.
• MSc degree in Science, or equivalent experience, from an accredited University, research institute or similar employer with experience in management of clinical and research laboratories.
• Significant experience of active work in a research/clinical laboratory environment.
• Possession of significant experience in conducting and supervising an area of independent research is an added advantage.
• 5 years or more experience in a laboratory management role.
• Should have experience in implementing International Laboratory Accreditation standards.
• Should possess experience in implementing change management, for example implementing new ways of working, approaches etc. which support and ensure quality improvement around laboratory output, practices and safety.
• Experience managing biological sample collections, including pathogens and human tissue, in a safe and legally compliant way.
• Experience in the application and management of a broad range of research and clinical laboratory technologies.
• Experience in the safe shipment of clinical samples and infectious organisms plus familiarity with laboratory management or bio banking software.
• Experience in training laboratory-based staff and developing and executing competency-based training plans.
• Should have excellent knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and expertise in implementing ISO15189 quality standard.
• Excellent spoken and written command of English with excellent communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; MRC/UVRI Head of Clinical Laboratory Services Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.