Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group - Project Manager-Kampala Uganda
Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group - Project Manager-Kampala UgandaOverall ResponsibilityThe IRMG Project Manager will provide leadership and management of the second phase of IRMG activities.
Working closely with the IRMG Steering Committee, s/he will ensure that the project meets targets and deliverables on-time and within budget.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Staff and Program Management
• Conduct overall administrative management of the initiative including work planning, budget management and reporting to donors.
• Facilitate monthly meetings of the IRMG, and support information gathering and analysis to support effective discussions during these meetings.
• Oversight of all staff members on the project, coordinate and implement activities in line with approved project proposal, budget and within the agreed time frames.
• Ensure compliance to all Mercy Corps, Donor and Government of Uganda policies, procedures and guidelines that relate to the implementation of the program with limited supervision.
• Ensure project deadlines, quality standards and targets are met, redesigning deadlines, quality standards and targets as needed.
• Lead the coordination, management and motivation of project team through ensuring that they have clear objectives/individual work plans as part of performance management and receive constructive feedback on their performance. Ensure work plans are designed collectively with staff and other key stakeholders.
Technical Leadership on Activities to support IRMG members to improve Internal Risk Management Practice (focusing on Prevention, Detection and Management of Corruption and Fraud cases)
• Coordinate dissemination of assessment of risk management and accountability practices among INGOs working in Uganda (completed in phase 1)
• Coordinate dissemination of guidelines for risk management and accountability for INGOs in Uganda;
• Work closely with a consultant to carry out an assessment of specific internal risk management concerns for local NGOs to supplement the already existing assessment for INGOs, and adaptation of guidelines based on these
• Facilitate awareness raising sessions and training to increase INGO capacity to prevent, mitigate and respond to risks. This will include working with training providers to adapt/develop curriculum taking into account the needs and priorities of INGOs of varying sizes.
• Facilitate awareness raising sessions and training to increase local NGO capacity to prevent, mitigate and respond to risks. This will include working with training providers to adapt/develop curriculum taking into account the needs and priorities of INGOs of varying sizes.
• Support advocacy by the group to a wide range of donors and UN agencies.
• Coordinate establishment and support to subgroups of IRMG member staff on specific topics, identified in the risk assessment, during the workshops or in other IRMG learning and sharing forums.
• Other activities as agreed by the IRMG Steering Committee and in line with project scope, budget and timeframe.
Partnership Management/ External Representation
• Work closely with the Chair and Co-Chair of the IRMG Steering Committee to coordinate and prepare for communication between the IRMG and donors, the Ugandan Government and other stakeholders
• Work closely with the safeguarding advisor to support active engagement with the UNHCR led Steering Committee on Refugee Feedback, Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM) and the common system that UNHCR plans to pilot in a number of settlements.
• Coordinate information dissemination and advocacy workshops with targeted messaging to various stakeholders
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
• Take a leadership role in working with the MERL Advisor / Manager at Mercy Corps to develop MEL system linked to indicators to measure program achievements.
• Coordinate data gathering and management with project staff and take overall responsibility for MEL, with technical support as required from the MERL Advisor / Manager
• Oversee scheduling and production of formal and informal reports on all aspects of program, with a high level of quality, requiring minimal revision.
• As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities. Project Manager is responsible for ensuring that other staff are able to engage in this organizational learning and career development opportunities.
Program Support Operations
• Coordinate and support of finance, operations and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics (transport, warehousing and asset management), procurement, security, administration and human resources.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life.
Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination
Qualifications, Knowledge and experience
• Sc. or MA university degree in human resources, business administration, finance, accounting or a related business field is required (A certification in the field will be an advantage, e.g. CPA, CIA).
• 5 years+ related work experience with a business or not-for-profit organization;
• Proven project management experience is essential
• Experienced in delivering training or mobilising capacity building initiatives with professionals in the NGO sector
• Strong background in compliance, safeguarding and internal controls; experience in auditing or investigating wrongful conduct preferred.
• Thorough understanding of aid accountability, codes of conduct, and principles around protection and safeguarding.
• Ability to work with various administrative and program levels in the organization;
• Strong organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
• Extensive knowledge of compliance and safeguarding donor rules, regulations including USAID, ECHO, DFID, UN, etc is an advantage.
• Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, tact and ability to achieve results collaboratively with individuals not under supervisory control.
• Skilled in collecting, synthesizing and analyzing and disseminating information.
• Self-motivated and able to deliver without close supervision.
• A strong leader and team player, with good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills.
• Proven ability to work independently as part of a regional team and with international professionals.
• Excellent analytical and information management skills.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work under stress
• Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
• Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• Proven excellence maintaining professional internal and external relationships.
• A focus on building staff capacity
• A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
• Understanding and strong belief in the importance of safeguarding
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group - Project Manager-Kampala Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda.Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs,and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.