Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group (IRMG) Safeguarding Advisor Jobs in Kampala - Uganda
Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group (IRMG) Safeguarding Advisor Jobs in Kampala - UgandaJob DetailsIn line with global trends, international non-government organizations in Uganda are increasingly identifying fraud, corruption, safeguarding lapses and code of conduct breaches, including sexual exploitation and abuse, as growing risks to the aid sector’s ability to deliver accountable and high impact programs.
As well as undermining program effectiveness, these issues also have the even more serious potential to compromise the safety and protection of program participants or staff and erode the trust of the populations being served by aid agencies and the sector as a whole.
Thus, in the interests of accountability and safeguarding, the management and mitigation of these risks must be taken seriously.
In order to address these challenges, fifty-one INGOs based in Uganda have taken the initiative to form an Internal Risk Management Group (IRMG) – attended only by country directors.
The IRMG Safeguarding Advisor will provide technical leadership and management on activities to support IRMG members to improve Safeguarding practices.
Working closely with the IRMG Steering Committee the IRMG Safeguarding Advisor will take direct responsibility for ensuring all activities related to improvements in safeguarding for INGO and NGO members are completed on time, on scope and on budget and ensure accountability to Mercy Corps policies and donor rules and regulations.
The safe guarding advisor will coordinate closely with the MEL Advisor at Mercy Corps to ensure appropriate MEL activities are planned, ensuring that analysis of data coming from the ground feeds into the learning agenda for the programs, and ensures higher level impact for program beneficiaries
Essential Job Responsibilities
Technical Leadership on Activities to support IRMG members to improve Safeguarding Practices
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to complete the Benchmark review on management of safeguarding (SHEA and prevention of child abuse) in the Ugandan context
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to carry out an assessment of specific internal risk management concerns for local NGOs to supplement the already existing assessment for INGOs, and adaptation of guidelines based on these.
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to contextualize the Global Inter-Agency Safeguarding and SHEA prevention and response guidelines for Uganda
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to do Review of the UN Inter-Agency Prevention of SEA Action Plan and the review of UNHCR’s Refugee Feedback, Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM)
• Coordinate dissemination of assessment of safeguarding practices and guidance among IRMG members in Uganda
• Ongoing advisory support by IRMG Safeguarding Advisor to IRMG member NGOs on how to set up strong and effective safeguarding systems based on self-audit benchmarking process and best practices and agencies own technical advisory services on this topic;
• Support advocacy by the group to a wide range of donors and UN agencies.
• Other activities as agreed by the IRMG Steering Committee and in line with project scope, budget and timeframe.
Partnership Management/ External Representation
• Work closely with the IRMG project manager, Chair and Co-Chair of the IRMG Steering Committee to coordinate and prepare for communication related to safeguarding between the IRMG and donors, the Ugandan Government and other stakeholders
• Active engagement with the UNHCR led Steering Committee on Refugee Feedback, Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM) and the common system that UNHCR plans to pilot in a number of settlements.
• Coordinate information dissemination and advocacy workshops with targeted messaging to various stakeholders
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps.
Support Safeguarding within Mercy Corps
• Champion Safeguarding policies and accompanying policy guidance support materials and assist in promoting prevention of sexual misconduct, sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) - and provide support as required to MC Safeguarding focal points and safeguarding trained co-investigators.
• Support safeguarding focal points and CARM officer to ensure programs and operations are integrating Safeguarding measures, including carrying out third party training, and support on developing policies and reporting mechanisms
• Act as a resource to senior management as they work to fulfill their responsibilities and obligations under Mercy Corps’ and donor’s safeguarding policies and response mechanisms
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
• Coordinate data gathering and management as required to ensure activities related to Safeguarding awareness raising are captured in the programs MEL systems.
• Use data from monitoring to inform decision making on the program to maximize effectiveness and impact.
• As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities. Project Manager is responsible for ensuring that other staff are able to engage in this organizational learning and career development opportunities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Ethics and Integrity
Qualifications, Knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required (this could include law, social work, conflict resolution, international relations, development studies, international humanitarian law, peace and security or other) and an advanced degree is a plus.
• 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization implementing international programs.
• Proven project management experience is as advantage
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of local community and culture
• History of exhibiting impartial and empathetic behavior in the workplace
• Demonstrated knowledge and interest in Safeguarding, and a sensitivity to cultural diversity, equity, inclusion and gender
• Demonstrated experience working directly with local communities
• Demonstrated experience working directly with institutional donors on safeguarding issues
• Experienced in delivering training or mobilising capacity building initiatives with professionals in the NGO sector
• Strong background in compliance, safeguarding and internal controls; experience in investigating wrongful conduct preferred.
• Thorough understanding of aid accountability, codes of conduct, and principles around protection and safeguarding.
• Ability to work with various administrative and program levels in the organization;
• Strong organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
• Extensive knowledge of compliance and safeguarding donor rules, regulations including USAID, ECHO, DFID, UN, etc is an advantage.
• Skilled in collecting, synthesizing and analyzing and disseminating information.
• A strong leader and team player, with good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, tact and ability to achieve results collaboratively with individuals not under supervisory control.
• Demonstrate exemplary professional standard of ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures and external regulations
• Individual should be approachable, discreet and confidential.
• Excellent analytical and information management skills.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work under stress
• Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
• Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• Proven excellence maintaining professional internal and external relationships.
• A focus on building staff capacity
• Understanding and strong belief in the importance of safeguarding
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Mercy Corps Internal Risk Management Group (IRMG) Safeguarding Advisor Jobs in Kampala - Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda.Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs,and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.