Mercy Corps Director East Africa Food Security Jobs in Kenya
Mercy Corps Director East Africa Food Security Jobs in Kenya
General Position Summary The purpose of this role is to provide overall leadership to Mercy Corps East Africa Food Security Center of Excellence, consisting of large-scale development food security awards, market systems programming as well as humanitarian programs addressing food crises. With direct oversight over a regional food security technical and MEL team, the role will work closely with country programs in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan and Sudan and with regional and global technical teams to provide leadership to our portfolio of food security programs in the region, setting a clear vision for Mercy Corps’ food security work in the Horn of Africa, leading representation, outreach and thought leadership, and supporting delivery and growth of our portfolio of food security programming in the region.
The Director will promote the use of analytics and strong M&E systems to understand the impact of Mercy Corps’ food security work, and facilitate data-driven and anticipatory action to secure food security in the face of shocks. The position will work closely with the regional team to refine systems and mechanisms to enable regional ways of working, elevate team capacity strengthening as a critical priority, and engage with senior management and Mercy Corps’ global support teams to ensure alignment of the regional food security vision with Mercy Corps’ agency technical approaches.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Vision
● Set a clear and compelling vision for Mercy Corps’ resilient food security programming that draws on Mercy Corps’ core strengths of resilience, market systems development, conflict mitigation and governance, financial inclusion and gender, and ensure that this vision is clearly communicated to regional team members, global Mercy Corps teams, donors and other stakeholders.
● Set a clear vision for the structure of the Food Security Center of Excellence to enable an effective regional-level approach to drive resilient food security outcomes, working closely with field, regional and global leadership
● Lead a process to bring together complex programs tackling food security across the Horn of Africa to enable greater collaboration and an ability to aggregate results/impact and learnings
● Collaborate with global and regional technical support teams to further best practices and thought leadership
● Lead engagement with both institutional and private donors, as well as civil society and private sector partners, to present a compelling vision for Mercy Corps’ food security work which leads to portfolio growth, harmonization of technical approaches, and that ultimately results in greater potential for impact.
● Lead a team of food security and MEL technical experts to work closely alongside our portfolio of food security programs.
● Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
● Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
● Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
● Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Technical Excellence, Measurement and Research
● Oversee processes and systems that help advance technical excellence across our development and emergency food security programs, including through capacity strengthening, knowledge management, and communities of practice
● Ensure teams have the tools, guidance and technical support needed to implement programs with technical excellence, and measure performance
● Ensure program design and implementation reflects Mercy Corps’ most impactful and signature approaches, including in resilience, market systems, peace and governance, livestock and resilient agriculture
● Oversee and drive a process for resilient food security impact measurement, ensuring shared indicators and measurement methods. Facilitate portfolio-level reporting
● Oversee the development and
implementation of a research and learning agenda
● Oversee program quality and impact by ensuring programs are based on sound design principles and utilize Mercy Corps and donor required M&E systems.
● Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
● Coordinate with regional and HQ resource development teams to strategically identify, design and develop high-quality concept notes and proposals to grow our food security portfolio in East Africa, engaging closely with country teams, regional and global technical support teams to ensure they align with country and regional strategies and reflect Mercy Corps’ signature technical approaches
● Explore, evaluate and present innovative funding opportunities that support the objectives for the center of excellence as a whole.
Influence, Representation, and Thought Leadership
● Represent Mercy Corps’ food security portfolio with external parties, including donors, government stakeholders, foundations, the private sector, think tanks, multilateral institutions, etc. to elevate Mercy Corps’ thought leadership and voice on resilient food security issues.
● Anticipate needs, understand donor strategies and contribute to shaping donor’s views on resilient food security in East Africa.
● Demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure.
● Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
● Exhibit awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
Knowledge and Experience
● BA/S or equivalent in the relevant field required; MA/S preferred.
● 10 years of field experience in international relief and development programs, including demonstrable success in managing (large, complex, transitional) food security programs.
● 7 years of senior-level leadership, capacity building and field management experience.
● Demonstrated success in resource mobilization, donor representation, and proposal design and development.
● Experience with emergency and disaster response as appropriate.
● Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with host country government, private sector, INGO, NGO partners and other stakeholders in complex environments.
● Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
● Proven skills in financial and grants management, and in particular, familiarity with USAID (BHA, Feed the Future) and emergency food security programming
● Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills.
● Excellent oral and written English skills required.
● Demonstrated commitment to staff development and skills transfer within a diverse team.
● Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
● Previous work experience in (location) and in insecure environments (if this is an insecure region) preferred.
● The successful Food Security Director will skillfully design and lead a vision for resilient food security in East Africa, aligning Mercy Corps’ country and program teams, donors and regional partners behind a vision for resilience food security outcomes.
● S/he will have high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building and will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
● Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Mercy Corps Director East Africa Food Security Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.