Mercy Corps Animal Health Advisor-Apolou -Kabong Jobs in Uganda
Mercy Corps Animal Health Advisor-Apolou -Kabong Jobs in UgandaGeneral Position Summary The Animal Health- Adviser will support the development and roll-out of sound implementation plans that are in line with the program’s theory of change, strategy development, implementation and quality control for the Animal Health for Resilience Activity within the broader Apolou Activity.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• In partnership with the Government of Uganda at national and district levels, the position will participate the design and implementation of a 1-2 cost-effective livestock disease surveillance, monitoring and response systems.
• Animal health advisor will be responsible for the design and development and operationalization of active and passive livestock disease surveillance, Livestock Early Warning System LEWs and response mechanisms in Kaabong and Amudat districts
• Participate in desk review and interview experts in public animal health systems to capture lessons learned and recommendations. With this information and in close consultation with district officials, Propose and co create different models such as an event- and indicator- based surveillance, and community-based surveillance systems in Kaabong and Amudat
• Pilot disease surveillance/response systems including overseeing the completion of a cost-benefit analysis of different models.
• Will work in coordination with Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) to prepare and endorse an animal health services capacity-strengthening plan for the Karamoja region.
• Coordinate with other program Livestock, Livelihoods and Apolou teams to support activity integration and information sharing within Apolou and other similar programs.
• Coordinate with GoU to provide technical expertise, analyze surveillance data, conduct studies, provide recommendations to partners, and conduct epidemiologic and programmatic assessments using program-developed instruments and tools.
• Coordinate and assist government and CBO organizations that conduct animal health and disease outbreak response in Karamoja.
• Plan, lead and organize meetings and workshops to support strengthening of veterinary epidemiology capacities
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Reports Directly To: Animal health Manager - Apolou Activity
Works Directly With: Livestock Team, All Apolou staff
Supervises: Livestock Officers
Accountability to Beneficiaries
● Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
• Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Ethics and Integrity
• All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate the highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with 4-6 years direct experience partnering with governments on animal health and disease. surveillance systems including 3 years minimum experience in health or public health program management.
• An advanced degree animal health.
• Experience working on policy and advocacy change with Government of Uganda, MAAIF specifically.
• Knowledge of and experience working with complex MEL systems.
• Experience working with USAID as a donor preferred.
• Understanding of and experience of working with Resilience concepts.
• Excellent analytical skills and experience working on livestock research.
• Good self-management and interpersonal skills.
• Experience working in or for Karamoja a plus.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills in English language.
• PMD Pro certification or equivalent is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Mercy Corps Animal Health Advisor-Apolou -Kabong Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.