Market Researcher / Product Manager at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Jobs in Kenya
Market Researcher / Product Manager at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Jobs in KenyaJob DetailsThe International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYTÂ®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries
The Platform is seeking a breeding oriented Market Researcher to align and lead the knowledge sourcing efforts of breeding teams to more appropriately inform the development of high quality product profiles that are aligned with farmer and consumer needs and the drivers of variety adoption.
A high quality product profile describes the characteristics of the varieties or intermediate germplasm that will be developed by the breeding program.
The ultimate varieties developed should successfully replace currently grown varieties whilst also satisfying, where relevant, requirements such as gender needs, processing needs, human nutrition and genetic diversity of the local germplasm base.
Replacing currently grown varieties will require deep understanding of the drivers of variety adoption, including understanding the needs of food crop value chain actors (e.g. seed suppliers, farmers, processors and final consumers).
• Develop methods of extracting and aggregating currently available information to understand the drivers of variety adoption and to inform the development of product profiles.
• Develop methods and tools to understand the drivers of variety adoption and to inform the development of the product profile.
• Take stock and, in association with relevant marketing and socioeconomic experts inside and outside the CGIAR, develop robust practices for profiling demand and identifying product attributes and their potential use by market actors (seed businesses, farmers, processors, consumers) in different market, cultural, and political-regulatory contexts.
• Ensure socially inclusive needs and circumstances, particularly of women and youth in rural households in target geographies and of human nutrition, are considered in product profiles and scaling strategies.
• Work with senior management of breeding programs to mobilize resources (such as socio-economics departments and reallocating breeding resources) for the development of high-quality product profiles and breeding pipeline investment cases.
• Work with breeding teams and their management to ensure product profiles are effectively used to set breeding objectives and to guide all relevant breeding program decisions; including promotion of germplasm, parental selections and strategic investments into pre-breeding / parental development and other upstream investments.
• Research skills to understand the problem, to develop ways of extracting relevant information from market participants, and to collate and interpret such information to develop a solution to the problem.
• Interpersonal skills to respectfully and tactfully present a paradigm shift in terms of new ways of operating.
• Demonstrated abilities and enthusiasm to work in multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environments.
• Results focused and pragmatic attitude skills.
• Teaching, training and capacity development; ability to work effectively within a product-oriented perspective while engaging with organizations/stakeholders that might not share this perspective.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in English.
• The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Team Leadership, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Client Orientation, Problem Solving and Decision Making.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes
• MBA/DBA or MSc./PhD. in business development and/or marketing from a recognized institution, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in the agricultural sector. Commercial experience will be viewed favorably.
• Experience in collection and interpretation of market intelligence data; awareness of the challenges of collecting such data and of variety replacement in low- and middle-income countries.
• Familiarity with the seed sector / seed value chains and experience with defining breeding product profiles is desirable.
• Awareness of marketing methods including how to understand requirements for variety adoption and methods for marketing, with very limited budget, new varieties to developing world farmers.
• Interest in social inclusiveness, including awareness of the role women have in variety uptake and challenges associated with generating market intelligence pertaining to women’s needs and role in achieving greater household food security and farm incomes.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Market Researcher / Product Manager at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.