Makerere University ICAN Internship Program Jobs in Uganda
Makerere University ICAN Internship Program Jobs in UgandaBackground The Integrated Community Agriculture and Nutrition (ICAN) Activity
USAID’s Integrated Community Agriculture and Nutrition (ICAN) Activity is a 5 year (July 2018 to July 2023) USAID/Uganda’s flagship resilience project purposed to sustainably enhance the resilience of vulnerable households in eight districts of Uganda including: Kisoro, Kanungu, Rukungiri (Kigezi sub-region), Lamwo, Gulu, Nwoya (Acholi sub-region), Kaabong and Kotido districts (Karamoja sub-region).
The program enhances the resilience of vulnerable households by increasing economic opportunities for low-income households, improving nutrition with a focus on women and children, and strengthening community and local governance.
ICAN is accomplishing these goals by working with school communities, village-level savings associations, and community groups to deliver an array of integrated interventions that will directly reach households, mothers, and adolescents.
The program is being implemented by Abt Associates together with three local implementing partner organizations, these are: Caritas Kotido, Caritas Kabale, and Children of the World Foundation.
The program targets supporting more than 116,000 vulnerable households, 184,000 mothers, and 230,000 adolescents over five years.
The program pays particular attention to gender, social inclusion, and youth/adolescents as well as incorporates a strong social and behavior change (SBC) component.
The ICAN Internship program
The USAID’s ICAN internship program is a three-year program (March 2020- February 2023) that seeks to attract a total of 10 Interns each year, recruited through a highly competitive process.
Within the overall framework of integrated livelihoods, nutrition, and community governance activities, ICAN plans to support the implementation of an internship program to provide recent graduates (less than two years) with career-relevant work experience and ongoing professional skills development administered through a carefully designed curriculum and one-on-one mentoring.
At the end of every one-year cycle (internship year), a cohort of 10 interns will be passed out giving way to other fresh interns. The internship program is implemented in partnership with the Department of Social Work and Social Administration, Makerere University.
The internship program aims at providing recent graduates with career-relevant work experience and ongoing professional skills development administered through a carefully designed curriculum and one-on-one mentoring.
Duration: The program will run for a period of one (1) year from June 2020- May, 2021.
Target Group: The Program targets young professionals from the fields of agriculture, nutrition, social development, statistics and finance. .
Duties and Tasks:
The selected interns will work with ICAN staff and Makerere University, Department of Social Work and Social Administration to accomplish the following key tasks:
• Support roll out of field-based activities in one of the focal districts in Kigezi, Acholi and Karamoja regions
• Participate in improving the quality of the ICAN program activities and deliverables
• Collect qualitative and/or quantitative data in the areas of operation, as guided
• Provide backup support to the technical and administration teams as guided
• Documentation to include: preparing reports, writing case studies, and recommendations for program improvement.
Eligible applicants should:
• Be Ugandan Citizens under 27 years of age
• Be recent graduates (only those who have graduated in the past two years) from an accredited Ugandan University, or graduate students in good standing of the accredited university that has not held formal employment since graduation
• Be students or recent graduates of Social Work, Nutrition, Agriculture, Finance/economics, Social Sciences, Environmental Management, Development Studies, Business Administration or agribusiness
• Possess a record of success as demonstrated by school marks, extra-curricular activities and interests
• Have a passion to practice in rural communities
• Be open to learning
• Demonstrate team work attributes
• Be willing to live and work in the activity districts for the one-year period of placement and use boada boda or local means of travel.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate in the local languages of the target districts
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their applications, CVs and academic documents to the Administrative Assistant, ICAN Internship Program at electronically at:
email@example.com and copy in firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
For any inquiries contact the Administrative Assistant on Telephone: 0788272531 /0703906170 and
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline: The applications and supporting documents should be submitted by 28th May, 2020.
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.