IOM Sub-Regional Laboratory Coordinator Jobs in Kenya
IOM Sub-Regional Laboratory Coordinator Jobs in Kenya
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director, East and Horn of Africa (EHoA) Region and Regional Health Assessment Programme Coordinator and under direct supervision of the Regional Laboratory Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the laboratory services with respect to migration Health Assessment Programmes (HAP) and other programmes or projects implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in EHA region. IOM laboratory services typically focus on the effective diagnosis of selected health conditions for the purpose of ensuring migrants’ health is properly addressed and to protect public health of host and receiving communities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Coordinate and guide IOM Laboratory services in the EHA Region for quality, effective, timely and cost-effective service delivery to IOM programmes and projects by identifying the best practices and adopting these across the region.
Establish laboratory services in IOM operations, to support and respond to HAP needs. Determine and advise on the mode of obtaining laboratory services via either the establishment of IOM laboratories or sub-contracting external laboratory providers.
Conduct, in collaboration with management, periodic in-depth review of IOM laboratory services in the EHA Region for evaluating effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and optimum utilization of services to inform strategy adaptation or development.
Facilitate the implementation of a global standardization plan of laboratory services across the region by preparing guidelines for the laboratories to be converted into Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); monitor international laboratory standards and advise on means of adopting these to the best level possible considering realities and regulations of countries of operation. Participate in development of monitoring tools, review processes for MHD programmes and projects.
Advise laboratory and other medical programme staff in the Region on laboratory related matters and assist in finding solutions, including effective diagnostic tools for disease detection, equipment needs, procurement, quality system setup, training and performance monitoring.
Implement, in collaboration with IOM laboratories, the laboratory quality management system for continuous quality monitoring and improvement. Facilitate to or provide training to IOM laboratory staff in the development, implementation and monitoring of internal laboratory policies, work plan, performance monitoring and service improvement.
Guide laboratory supervisors in developing long term strategic and work plans addressing the needs of each laboratory aligned with MHD and EHA regional strategies to improve the health status of migrants through enhanced diagnostic capacity.
Analyze IOM laboratory produced data and monitor laboratory services to ensure that quality and standards are met in accordance with international standards and requirements of host and receiving countries in IOM and contracted health facilities in the Region and advise on corrective action to be taken.
Liaise with IOM medical teams in the region, health assessment officials from resettlement countries, with national counterparts, governmental and non-governmental entities, and professional bodies. Liaise with other IOM Departments and Country Offices’ management to ensure required goals are met.
Undertake travel duty within the Region to evaluate and oversee the quality of laboratory services for migrant populations. Undertake such travels on behalf of Governments partners and technical partners.
Promote IOM activities and prepare proposals to develop projects and programmes to expand IOM laboratory services in the Region.
Participate in annual HAP activities planning, review and verify, or prepare budgets related to laboratory services components; advise on optimal resources utilization.
Specifically provide overall management of IOM Kenya laboratory services.
Replace the Regional Laboratory Coordinator in his/her absence.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional management experience in a laboratory in
an international setting;
• Experience in the interpretation and quality control measures of the laboratory results and procedures;
• Previous work experience in tuberculosis bacteriology and HIV, syphilis and malaria testing required;
• Managerial and/or supervisory experience is a distinct advantage.
• Knowledge of laboratory organization, performance assessment and quality system set up;
• Understanding of health systems and migration health issues, and the role of laboratory services within these;
• Understanding of resource management and adapting of laboratory services in resource limited setting for timely and quality service delivery;
• Excellent communication, negotiation, interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to write clearly and concisely;
• Proven analytical and creative thinking;
• Ability to work with colleagues from varied cultures and professional background;
• Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
• Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
• Excellent computer skills knowledge with laboratory databases required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via
PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 July 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.