IOM Senior Programme Assistant Jobs in Kenya
IOM Senior Programme Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Context: Since 2006, IOM has been implementing a range of humanitarian and development projects in all regions of Somalia. The Labour Migration and Human Development (LMHD) unit in Somalia focuses its interventions on fostering synergies between labour migration and development, and adoption of measures to maximize migration outcomes.
One of the largest programmes in IOM is the Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA), a
capacity building programme, which aims to strengthen the capacity of government institutions through engagement of Somali diaspora. To date, the programme has placed more than 600 Somali experts’ assignments at various ministries and institutions. IOM has focused on a broad range of sectors including: Justice, Public Financial Management, Public Works, Health, Education, Local Government, which are crucial for the economic and social development and the stability of Somalia.
The LMHD division is also committed to optimizing the benefits of labour migration for both the countries of origin and destination, as well as for the migrants themselves. In this regard, IOM Somalia is working closely with key government institutions to strengthen institutional capacity and support in the formulation of labour migration policies, legislation and effective labour migration strategies.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates. Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Programme Manager – LMHD, in close collaboration and consultation with LMHD staff, Resource Management Unit and other IOM units the Senior Programme Assistant will be responsible for providing administrative and finance-related matters for LMHD projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Facilitate in close coordination with relevant government counterparts, the recruitment of diaspora and locally based experts with requisite qualifications and experience to contribute to national development in Somalia.
Provide inputs into the conceptualization of project proposals, implementation, monitoring and reporting of labour migration and human development projects for Somalia.
Coordinate with the ministries of the federal government of Somalia, federal member states, UN agencies, partners, and IOM field staff the implementation of LMHD projects, by maintaining regular communication to provide updates and address project-related challenges.
On monthly basis monitor MIDA programme participants’ capacity-building activities in institutions to ensure that deliverables are in accordance with terms of reference and work plans as well as highlight results achieved and success stories.
Develop project work plans and other related LMHD project documents in close coordination with the LMHD Programme Manager.
Organize, lead, and facilitate project-related meetings, including the creation of agendas and preparation of capacity building materials.
Coordinate with service providers of health insurance for MIDA experts and ensure its administration is in accordance with
IOM stipulated procedure.
Develop up to date database of the MIDA programme to support reporting, budget monitoring and decision making.
Perform other duties as maybe assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University Degree or higher in Political, Social Science or Business Administration, International Relations, Law, Labour relations or related interdisciplinary fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
• High School degree/Certificate in the above fields with six years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working on institutional-capacity building and on migration and development activities in particular.
• Experience in project conceptualization, implementation, and monitoring.
• Excellent operational, organizational and the ability to work harmoniously with other colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
• Previous experience in emergencies is an asset.
• Strong computer skills, specifically hands-on experience in usage of MS Office.
• Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills, as well as strategic and creative thinking.
• Knowledge of UN agencies.
• Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili both written and spoken is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to:
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.