IOM Programme Coordinator Jobs in Uganda
IOM Programme Coordinator Jobs in Uganda
Context: Uganda is a country of origin, transit and destination of migrants. In addition, the country is currently hosting over 1.4 million refugees, the largest refugee population in the African continent. IOM works actively within the United Nations Country Team and with government counterparts to serve migrants and refugees and strengthen the capacity of the Government of Uganda to manage migration.
IOM Uganda Country Office (CO) has implemented interventions in the areas of Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA), Immigration and Border Management (IBM), Labour Migration, Migration and Health, Community Stabilization/Social Cohesion, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC), Migration Data Analysis System (MIDAS), Migration
Policy, Disaster Risk Reduction, as well as delivery of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme services to refugees. These interventions are being implemented alongside Uganda CO’s well-established resettlement portfolio.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in coordination with relevant units at Headquarters (HQ) and the Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa, the successful candidate will be responsible for development, oversight, monitoring, evaluation and coordination of programme portfolio of Uganda CO and liaison with donors and Implementing Partners.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Coordinate and play a lead role in providing strategic direction of Uganda CO’s programmes.
Supervise and coordinate the work of programme staff in the area of responsibility and maintain strong communication flows by ensuring the projects meet their intended scope, timeframe, quality and budget.
Supervise the Programme Coordination and Support Unit (PCSU), assess potential programme opportunities and projects, draft project proposals and concept notes in the areas of interest of the CO: MPA, IBM, and Health, Community Stabilization/Social Cohesion, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC), Migration Data Analysis System (MIDAS), Migration Policy, Disaster Risk Reduction and WASH. Compile and review project reports, fact sheets and other documents in coordination with relevant programme units.
Oversee the coordination, implementation and reporting of programmes and project activities of CO to ensure accountability, timely and effective implementation, quality reporting, appropriateness of project funds management, and advise the CoM on any corrective measures needed.
Analyze the development and humanitarian assistance policies, trends and priorities, and develop resource mobilization strategies based on solid results frameworks that respond to emerging migration trends as well as country and donor priorities including the National Development Plan, United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), the Regional Refugee Response Plans and IOM’s country, regional and global priorities.
Support the monitoring of progress against strategic objectives, project benchmarks and UNSDCF results.
Develop strategies for IOM involvement in various frameworks meant to bridge the divide between humanitarian and development assistance to refugees.
Ensure a coordinated and strategic approach to IOM’s contribution to the UNSDCF. This includes ensuring a strategic presence of IOM in UNSDCF working groups and coherent reporting. Act as IOM’s Focal Point for the implementation of the new UNSDCF.
Represent IOM in relevant inter-agency forums including, but not limited to, the UNSDCF Programme Reference Group, and provide support to the CoM, Regional Office and HQ colleagues in relevant high- level forums on migration.
Oversee cooperation, external relations, and liaison with relevant local and regional bodies by supporting the CO in the work with respective national counterparts.
Coordinate and implement the staff capacity-building activities in the areas of project development, project reporting, results-based management, joint programming and monitoring and evaluation with the support from the relevant units.
Ensure mainstreaming of gender and data management and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) principles in all programmes.
guidance notes, documentation and briefings for the CoM and other Senior Managers.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project development, implementation and monitoring;
• Experience working in various migration management areas of IOM’s portfolio including emergency preparedness and response, counter-trafficking, IBM, migration policy, labour migration and migration and health;
• Proven experience mobilizing funds from various donors including humanitarian and development donors;
• Experience in East Africa region is an advantage.
• Proven track record of establishing and maintaining good working relationships with governmental, diplomatic authorities, UN agencies, and civil society.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via
PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.