IOM Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer (Upper Nile State) Jobs in South Sudan
IOM Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer (Upper Nile State) Jobs in South SudanContextUnder the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Malakal and the direct supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Programme Manager (Psychologist) based in Juba, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of the IOM MHPSS portfolio in Upper Nile State, according to relevant international guidelines and standards.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Support the MHPSS Programme Manager (Psychologist) by identifying programme gaps in
Upper Nile State (internally displaced persons (IDP) and host community settings) and contribute technical inputs for the development of project proposals, including recommending new donors and thematic areas of technical intervention.
Implement level 2, 3 and 4 MHPSS services which are in line with the Inter-Agency Standing Committe (IASC) intervention pyramid in Malakal Protection of Civilians (PoC) and town where applicable, in close coordination with the local WG
In coordination with field based MHPSS Specialists, provide adequate capacity building (Psychological First Aid (PFA), MHPSS guidelines, Mental Health Gap Humanitarian Intervention Guide (mhGAP), referral pathways) to IOM MHPSS staff, psychosocial mobile teams and other relevant actors where applicable, such as line ministries, IDPs and host community members.
Check that the MHPSS programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) framework and qualitative and quantitative indicators are relevant and updated.
Coordinate and supervise the IOM MHPSS team in Malakal, including volunteers, and ensure compliance to IOM administrative procedures.
Check that work-plans for staff and psychosocial mobile teams are adhered to and provide timely updates to the supervisor.
Participate in various cluster meetings, working groups, and mapping exercises.
In coordination with the National MHPSS TWG Coordinator, act as a focal point for the MHPSS WG in Malakal and participate in the development of an appropriate work plan, capacity needs assessment as well as referral pathway in close collaboration with member organisations.
Liaise with line ministries connected to MHPSS and other relevant civil society actors and explore future possibilities of capacity building.
Check that MHPSS mainstreaming is provided effectively.
Undertake psychosocial needs assessments as needed.
Ensure that confidentiality and the right to privacy is maintained regarding confidential information.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experiences in providing services to displaced populations, migrants, refugees or conflict affected populations;
• Significant experience in implementing MHPSS projects, providing supervision, coaching, and mentoring to both specialists and non-specialists;
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of UN and international agencies structures. Experience in capacity building activities and curriculum development is an advantage;
• Previous working experience in South Sudan is an advantage.
• Effectively applies knowledge of mental health and psychosocial issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level; maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
• Skilled at developing culturally relevant psychotherapeutic interventions;
• Demonstrated expertise and thorough knowledge on the practical application of the IASC Guidelines on MHPSS in Emergency Settings;
• Knowledgeable on the psychosocial impact of forced displacement.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish and/or any local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 July 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.