International Commission of Jurists Jobs Positions in South Africa
International Commission of Jurists Legal Adviser, Africa Regional Programme, SA ESCR Careers in South Africa
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is a worldwide network of judges and lawyers united in affirming international law and rule of law principles that advance human rights.
We are recruiting a dedicated human rights lawyer familiar with social, economic, and cultural rights in South Africa, to help the ICJ strengthen the ability of South African civil society to advocate for ESC rights, including through adjudication.
The project’s initial phase will be for 18-24 months, with a possibility of extension and will be based anywhere in South Africa but preferably in Johannesburg or Pretoria.Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Director of Africa Regional Programme, the Legal Adviser holds the following responsibilities:
· Research and draft a Practitioner’s Guide on Adjudicating Socio-economic Rights to be used by Magistrates and Lawyers, based in part on existing ICJ global analyses;
· Research and draft a Parallel Report to the Committee for Economic Social and Cultural rights in consultation with various civil society stakeholders and under tight deadlines;
· Design capacity building symposiums for Magistrates on the adjudication of socio-economic rights, based on the practitioner’s guide;
· Advocate with relevant role players, including Chief Magistrates, for the participation of magistrates in the symposiums;
· Manage the roll out of the symposiums for magistrates, including logistics, management of external consultants and quality control;
· Ensure that data for results monitoring and evaluation is
collected and processed;
· Assist with implementation of all aspects of the Africa Regional programme, using the full range of innovative ICJ advocacy strategies and legal interventions, conduct field research, prepare legal reports, memos and submissions, support and/or conduct capacity building and training for legal practitioners;
· Represent the ICJ externally.Qualifications Education & ExperienceThe successful candidate will have:
· Masters degree in law, preferably with a focus on international human rights law;
· Minimum five years experience working for the promotion of human rights in South Africa, in particular for socio-economic rights;
· Knowledge of the functioning of the international and African human rights architecture, especially as it relates to socio-economic rights, is an asset;
· A proven track record in high level human rights advocacy will be an advantage.Essential Skills
· Excellent political judgment and the proven ability to network with a wide array of organizations and role players;
· Strong analytical and organizational skills;
· Openness and flexibility, capacity to adapt to changing priorities and needs.
· Proven communication skills. Excellent written and spoken English;
· Experience of academic writing, high level report writing or publications;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
· Willingness to travel often;
· Commitment to human rights and the rule of law.How to Apply:
For more information and job application details, see; International Commission of Jurists Legal Adviser, Africa Regional Programme, SA ESCR Careers in South AfricaClosing date: 21 May 2017