ICIPE Principal Scientist Jobs in Kenya
ICIPE Principal Scientist Jobs in Kenya
icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending
management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building.
Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of subSaharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, nonresistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, a major station at Mbita on the shores of Lake Victoria, several other field stations in Kenya and country offices in Ethiopia and Uganda.
Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world (www.icipe.org).
Overall purpose of the job
The overall purpose of the job is to lead the Push–Pull Programme teams under the Plant Health Theme. Reporting to the Head of Plant Health Theme, the incumbent is part of a multidisciplinary team providing leadership, research and development strategy to the Centre in collaboration with icipe’s other scientists. It
is expected that the job holder will maintain a portfolio of research aligned with icipe’s vision and strategy.
The successful candidate is expected to:
▪ Lead and spearhead the development of a coherent vision and strategic framework for the Push–Pull
Programme in line with icipe’s strategy and goals, and international best practices.
▪ Organize a Push–Pull Programme structure to cost-effectively utilize resources to meet icipe’s research, capacity and institutional building needs.
▪ Provide cutting-edge scientific leadership to scientists and technical staff to further develop, adapt, optimize and scale up the Push–Pull technology to a broad range of agro-ecosystems and farming systems.
▪ Guide scientists and technical staff within the Programme to ensure timely preparation of the Programme’s annual work-plans, budgets, and scientific and technical reports for donors.
▪ Ensure that the Push–Pull Programme members continually update skills and methodologies to keep up with global cutting-edge knowledge that is relevant to the Plant Health Theme Research.
▪ Provide leadership and guidance to scientists
in publication of research outputs in high-impact peer-reviewed journals, as well as provide stewardship of intellectual property developed under the programme.
▪ Promote and establish collaborative linkages within icipe and with national, regional and international institutions in the relevant fields of research of the Programme under Plant Health Theme.
▪ Actively seek and secure external support for the activities of the Push–Pull Programme, including resources to develop and grow the research portfolio.
▪ Manage and develop the staff of the Push–Pull Programme to create and foster a culture of scientific excellence and to ensure that the Programme has the human resources required now and into the future.
▪ Prudently manage financial, physical and intellectual resources under the Push–Pull Programme.
▪ Facilitate peer-review of the performance of Push–Pull Programme staff.
▪ Initiate periodic reviews of the performance of the Push–Pull Programme to ensure relevance and quality.
▪ Act as a spokesperson and representative of the Programme.
▪ Ensure that the Programme meets its legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders, including partners and donors.
▪ PhD degree in entomology or related agricultural sciences, but preferably with expertise in habitat
management, chemical ecology, agronomy or biological control from a reputable university, and postdoctoral training from a highly reputed laboratory.
▪ Ten (10) years’ experience progressively gained at a senior scientist level in either a research organization or a university.
▪ Excellent publication track record with at least 50 publications (H-index > 30).
▪ Track record of writing successful proposals for large grants.
▪ Proven record of managing large resources, both financial and human, in an international research
▪ Proven experience of working with farmers, preferably in Africa, and transdisciplinary R&D collaboration in social science research, agricultural economics or related disciplines.
▪ Experience in capacity building through supervision and mentorship of at least 10 MSc and 5 PhD students and at least 1 postdoctoral fellow.
▪ Excellent communication skills are mandatory.
▪ Track record of exemplary leadership qualities is essential.
▪ High degree of organisation, adaptability and prioritisation.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; ICIPE Principal Scientist Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.