HELB Chief Operations Officer Jobs in Kenya
HELB Chief Operations Officer Jobs in Kenya
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operations Officer (COO) is responsible for
spearheading the formulation of sound policies, strategies and systems that will drive the
vision of the institution, ensure effective and efficient execution of Credit Management
function with a loan book in excess of Kshs.93 Billion and customer base in excess of
1,000,000, timely and equitable annual processing and disbursement of loans, bursaries and
scholarships to over 394,000 students in 342 local and foreign higher learning institutions
with an annual budget of over Kshs.17 Billion and 31 partner funds worth over Kshs.1.4
Overseeing timely repayment of all matured loans worth Kshs. 69 Billion from over
560,000 past beneficiaries to create a sustainable revolving fund, provision of accurate data
for processing of all products applications and management of all institutional documents for
ease of storage, retrieval and utilization to support the HELB’s operations and overseeing
optimization of digital service delivery to improve customer satisfaction index and aligning
the Directorate to the institution’s enterprise risk management framework.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Overseeing the setting and driving institution’s vision and operational strategy, spearheading
the monitoring of all credit management, Enterprise Electronic Data & Documents Management, business development and institutional relationship management functions to ensure
conformity to institutions objectives and the formulation of Institution’s strategic direction to support the strategic initiatives on the core mandate of the institution;
• Overseeing preparation, co-ordination and monitoring of Operations directorate’s annual
work plans to achieve set divisional targets and overall institutions objectives, overseeing
formulation, implementation and monitoring of directorate action plan, policies and systems
for efficient and effective execution of the divisional functions by ensuring it is aligned to the Institution’s overall Strategic Plan;
• Spearheading the formulation, implementation and evaluation of market penetration strategies for existing and new markets through recruitment of new customers and product development to drive business growth in line with the set institution’s targets, strategic and operational management of both electronic and manual records to support the institution’s operations in achieving its objective and the coordination and efficient management of the digitization process including managing the process of change and review, and implementation of the strategic and operational plans;
• Spearheading the management of institutional digitization framework for efficient service delivery, formulation and promotional programs and other special event activities to grow student numbers as per the institution’s Strategic Plan and quality assurance for product development, creating awareness and uptake in the targeted markets;
• Overseeing the motivation and retention of staff with the aim of enhancing service delivery
within the directorate, execution and review of the approved divisional budgets, ensuring
alignment to the institutions budget, setting of comprehensive annual performance goals in
the division to meet the overall objectives of the institution;
• Spearheading continuous re-engineering of business processes within the division for process
improvement, evaluating all periodic performance reports from all business units within the
directorate for informed decision making, creating and fostering a sustainable successoriented, accountable environment within the directorate for attainment of divisional and institutional objectives;
• Spearheading the formulation and review of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Memorandum of Understanding with strategic partners to ensure
compliance, development and implementation of the division Business Continuity Plan in alignment to the institution’s Business Continuity Management Framework, implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management framework for governance and risk compliance within the directorate;
• Overseeing strategic planning, student’s loan budget and forecasting of business requirements, decision-making process, negotiations with the various stakeholders for additional
student funding and translating strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth to
ensure implementation of institution-wide goal setting, performance management and divisional action plan;
• Overseeing credit management of over 1,000,000 current and former students with loans totaling over Kes. 113 Billion since inception, disbursement of funds to over 342 in local and
foreign higher learning institutions of over 31 external partner funds, management of Self Protection Scheme with annual premium contributions of over 110 Million to mitigate against credit risk exposure; and
• Approving simulation, allocation and disbursement of loans, Scholarships and Bursaries, oversee the determination of number of eligible persons to be granted loans, scholarships, and
bursaries annually and advising the Chief Executive Officer accordingly to ensure prudent
management of the annual student loans budget, bursary, scholarship, and other partner
funded programs of over 17 Billion, overseeing the development of the criteria and conditions governing the granting of loans, scholarships and bursaries, loan repayment and recovery function of over 69 Billion mature loans from past beneficiaries, facilitating partnership with financial institutions, development partners and other relevant stakeholders for the purpose of disbursement and recovery of mature loans to ensure business continuity;
• Spearheading development & implementation of succession planning policies for business
continuity, inculcating the culture of mentoring and coaching across the directorate as a cornerstone to talent management, succession planning and business continuity, oversee the implementation of enterprise risk management framework within the Directorate and the preparation of Performance reports and emerging issue to ensure institutional and divisional targets are met; and
• Recommending loan waiver requests to the Board where applicable, participating in international duty through Association of African Higher Education Financing Agencies (AAHEFA)
operations committee for benchmarking on best practices, coordinating preparation of Loan
Disbursement and Recovery Committee Board papers in line with corporate governance practices, spearheading the implementation of the Credit Policy, HELB Act and any legislative and
regulatory framework in managing the institution’s products.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field from a recognized institution.
• Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field.
• At least fifteen (15) years’ relevant work experience five (5) of which should be in a senior
management level in a comparable institution.
Leadership course lasting not less four (4) weeks from a recognized institution.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; HELB Chief Operations Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.