HealthRight International Program Director, Peter C. Alderman Program for Global Mental Health Jobs in Kenya
HealthRight International Program Director, Peter C. Alderman Program for Global Mental Health Jobs in Kenya HealthRight International is a global health organization that empowers marginalized communities to live healthy lives, with particular focus on four marginalized populations including: women and children, migrant populations, at-risk adolescents, and sexual and gender minorities.
Employing a human rights-based approach, HealthRight works closely with community-based partners to build local capacity and create sustainable programs that have lasting impact.
HealthRight leverages global resources to address local health challenges and to create sustainable solutions.
Since its founding in 1990 by the late Dr. Jonathan Mann, HealthRight has worked in over 30 countries, with current projects in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, and the United States.
The Peter C. Alderman Program for Global Mental Health (PCAP) currently consists of mental health programming in Uganda, Kenya, and the Ukraine.
In Uganda, HealthRight continues the programming of the Peter C. Alderman Foundation, with which it merged in April 2018.
The Peter C. Alderman Program has operated mental health programs in collaboration with the government and other stakeholders in Uganda since 2006.
Working closely with HealthRight International headquarters in New York, the new Program Director for Global Mental Health will ensure the continued quality of mental health programming and oversee its strategic direction and growth.
Of particular focus will be continuation of the integration of mental health projects, to ensure that mental health activities are integrated across HealthRight’s global health programs in all project countries. .
Ensure state-of-the-art global mental health programs
• Together with in-country mental health project coordinators, maintain quality control mechanisms, including appropriate clinical and management supervision
• Together with in-country monitoring and evaluation focal points, oversee programming data collection, and ensure these data are used to inform and improve mental health programming
• Provide technical leadership and support to staff supporting mental health programming across the organization
• Oversee ongoing capacity building of staff across the organization, and ensure an organizational culture of ongoing learning and reflection
• Liaise with other Program Directors at HealthRight headquarters in New York (e.g., the Women and Children´s Health Program Director, and the Director of the Human Rights Clinic) and Country Directors to support mental health activities across portfolios and countries.
Implement strategy for continued program growth and enhanced visibility
• Together with the Executive Director, oversee the strategic direction of the PCAP, including the identification and adoption of innovative, new programming directions and strategic partnerships at the global and local levels
• Together with the organization-wide business development committee and (other) in-country leadership, lead funding applications to grow the PCAP portfolio
• Provide technical support on grant applications in other HealthRight programs that have a mental health component
• Ensure program visibility through presentations, publications and other communications initiatives
• Represent HealthRight International in relevant international forums, coordination mechanisms, and technical working groups
• Together with the Senior Technical Advisor for Global Mental Health, support implementation research activities to ensure continuous innovation and improvement in HealthRight’s global mental health programming
Highly Desired Qualifications
• Ability to work effectively across language and cultural barriers.
• Ability to work across different sectors relevant to global mental health, e.g. child and women’s protection.
• Strong professional network in global health and development
• Previous experience with health and human rights programming in at least one of HealthRight’s focus countries: Uganda, Kenya, Ukraine, Vietnam, and the US.
• Previous experience implementing health and human rights development programs with at least one of HealthRight’s four marginalized focus populations: women and children, migrant populations, at-risk adolescents, and sexual and gender minorities.
• We specifically encourage and welcome applications from qualified candidates from low- and middle-income countries. The candidate can be based in Kenya or Uganda.
• A PhD or advanced degree in a related field, for example, public (mental) health, humanitarian health, health and human rights, psychiatry/ medicine, social work, nursing, medical sociology/ anthropology, etc. Candidates with Masters degrees in a relevant field are also welcome to apply, provided they explain how their work experience has provided them with the advanced critical and strategic analytical skills in global mental health required for this leadership position.
• At least 5 years of work experience specific to global mental health (e.g., directly providing global mental health services, training service providers, managing global mental health projects), showing increased responsibility in leadership and strategic development positions
• At least 2 years of work experience while being based in a low- and middle-income country, or low-resource setting in an industrialized country
• Demonstrated track record of developing and writing successful grant applications
How to Apply
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.