Germplasm Health Temporary Research Associate Jobs in Ethiopia
Germplasm Health Temporary Research Associate Jobs in EthiopiaThe PositionThe International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate II – Germplasm Health on a temporary basis for six months who will be working with Feed and Forage Development Program at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock.
It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world.
The purpose of the Research Associate II position is to participate and assist the routine activities of germplasm health at the ILRI forage Genebank-Feed and Forage Development Program.
• Conducts routine diagnostic tests for virus, bacteria, phytoplasma and fungi in the ILRI Forage Genebank collection;
• Carries out surveillance on plant diseases and pests in different field stations of the Genebank and provides suggestion for proper fungicides and pesticides application;
• Prepares media, buffers, and other reagents used in the diagnosis;
• Conducts greenhouse bioassays for determining virulence of viral, bacterial, phytoplasma and fungal pathogens including host propagation, inoculation, evaluation and data recording;
• Prepares the reports corresponding to the germplasm health evaluation in the laboratory and field
• Maintains accurate records of laboratory and field activities in the database;
• Other related duties as required and assigned by the supervisor.
• BSc degree in Plant Pathology, Plant science /Seed Technology Or related fields
• Diploma from a recognized university/college in Plant Pathology/Seed Technology/ Plant science or related fields.
• BSc degree with a minimum of two years relevant experience Or Diploma in relevant field with four years of relevant experience
• Experience in plant diseases diagnosis in the laboratory and field
• Experience working in laboratory, screenhouse and field environments
• Experienced in the growth and propagation of plants, preferably forages
• Experience in seed technology or conservation of plant genetic resources
• Experience in using a database
• Experience on QMS is an advantage
• Effective communication skills in English, both written and oral
• Good understanding of molecular laboratory techniques
• Broad knowledge of plant diseases, pests, and Integrated pest management (IPM)
• Knowledge of basic statistical analysis and experimental design principles
• Ability to learn new technologies and apply it to solve problems
• Efficient data recording and management skills
• Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
• Ability to work with laboratory chemicals, fungicides and other potential irritating substances
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Germplasm Health Temporary Research Associate Jobs in Ethiopia
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.