Economic Commission for Africa Senior Facilities Management Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Economic Commission for Africa Senior Facilities Management Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa EthiopiaEstablished by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) in 1958 as one of the UN's five regional commissions, ECA's mandate is to promote the economic and social development of its member States, foster intra-regional integration, and promote international cooperation for Africa's development
Within delegated authority, the Facilities Management Assistant will carry out the following duties:
• Coordinates design, construction, repair, maintenance and installation of conventional buildings, temporary buildings, infrastructure and sites and premises including grounds in the main campus as well facilities in the five sub regional offices situated in Niger, Morocco, Cameroon, Zambia and Rwanda;
• Coordinates, plan and schedule maintenance services of installations, systems and equipment throughout the buildings;
• Plans construction and renovation projects, including conceptual design, identification of design parameters, analysis of functional/special needs and recommendations on alternative solutions;
• Reviews contractors' invoices and assists with cost recovery as required;
• Prepares scopes of work and technical specifications including engineering drawings, bill of quantity and cost estimates for construction/modification/alteration works taking into consideration the interpretation of building codes for construction, health and fire safety;
• Carries-out technical evaluation of offers and, after contract has been awarded to successful contractor, supervises coordinates and monitors implementation of contract and progress of work to ensure compliance with drawings and specifications and determines justification for technical changes to the contract and prepare progress reports;
• Assists in developing standards for existing and future facilities and guidelines for the on-going management of buildings;
• Liaises with Safety and Security for safety inspections of premises; reports and investigates accidents and recommends correction of safety or fire hazards;
• Assists in identifying common issues and best practices, including disability access, use of renewable energies, space optimization making strategic recommendations and developing a plan to achieve objectives and increase efficiency;
• Drafts responses to the board of auditors, Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) and Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) on audit-related issues and additional information requests on construction and common service subjects/studies as required. Monitors the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations;
• Drafts status reports, briefing papers, updates and ad-hoc reports on status of the various stages of the planning, design, construction, environment, safety-related projects and common-service aspects of the programme as required, communicating findings, recommendations, analysis and concepts to the Chief of Unit/Section as appropriate;
• Reviews proposals and coordinate implementation of for rental/lease in accordance with UMOJA guidance;
• Review proposal for construction of new facilities to ensure conformity with approved space standards, building construction guidelines and legislative policies/recommendations and draft comments/recommendations;
• Assists in the implementation of work plan of the Unit/Section and in managing the resources, and participates in the preparation of biennial budget and spending plan of the Unit/Section;
• Supervises general service staff of the Unit/Section as and when required;
• Coordinates specialized needs for special events or special construction and operational issues;
• Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge of the Organization’s rules and regulations as they pertain to building management and of industry codes and standards. Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations, as well as budgetary, administrative procedures, policies and directives.
Ability to read and interpret architectural floor plans.
Shows pride in work and in achievements;
demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
remains calm in stressful situations;
commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
places team agenda before personal agenda;
supports and acts in accordance with final
group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
identifies priority activities and assignments;
adjusts priorities as required;
allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Additional studies in Engineering (Civil Engineering), Architecture or equivalent is highly desirable.
Must have passed the United Nations Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away.
A minimum of ten years of progressive work experience in facilities management, construction project planning management, building management, engineering, architecture or related areas is required.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in architectural projects.
Knowledge of project management and space planning software, preparation of as-built drawings on AutoCAD for various engineering disciplines is also desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of the other is desirable.
Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Senior Facilities Management Assistant Jobs in Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.