Economic Commission for Africa Logistics/Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
Economic Commission for Africa Logistics/Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting The Economic Commission for Africa’s (ECA) mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA’s five new strategic directions which are:
Advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
The positions is located in the Shipping and Logistics Unit of the Supply Chain Management Section (SCMS) within the Division of Administration (DOA) at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa.
Within delegated authority, the Shipping/Logistics Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Supplies/organizes the duty free importation, exportation and insurance of all official goods as well as of vehicle and other personal and household effects of staff with duty free entitlements;
• Verifies that both outgoing and incoming shipments, consignments and cargo contain approved materials only;
• Draft note verbale, diplomatic declarations, credit letters, shipping advice ,explanatory letters, certificates and other documents and correspondence required to support the duty free import and export of shipments;
• Prepares tender and bid documents for service required by the Unit; prepare monthly report for the Chief of SCMS and Logistics Unit on the activities of the Unit as well as on the status cases (i.e. on progress on time to be cleared etc);
• Assist in the preparation of budget, statistics and other statements relating to the Shipping and Logistics Unit for supervisor and management;
• Checks, verifies and processes for payment through UMOJA, invoices for services rendered to the Commission by air carriers, movers and packers, transit agents and the maritime and Transit Services. This involves apportionment of costs between the organization and staff members in the case of personal shipments;
• Submits verified invoices to the Unit supervisor for certification prior to submitting to the Finance Section for payment;
• Organizes and coordinates the processing of diplomatic declarations for the purchase of consumables and goods for the official use of the Secretariat;
• Briefs new staff members on privileges and immunities on the activities and service rendered by the unit as well as on rules, procedure, and host country agreement; attendance record of the Unit;
• Maintains and updates database relating to incoming and outgoing shipments both organizational and staff members’ personal property and staff members’ duty free purchases and sales of household goods;
• Arranges the appropriate documentation and permits required for the clearance importation and exportation of each type of goods (ranging from vaccines, medical equipment and other medical supplies, communication equipment) as well as for each type of shipment;
• Ensure that each consignment is supported by all relevant documents which are required for security government approval to clear or to export shipments;
• Arrange appropriate insurance through UN official insurers in New York, Geneva or Vienna for outgoing consignments; arranges, facilitates and follow up insurance claims for damaged organizational and personal shipments;
• Ensures follow-up and timely endorsements of diplomatic declarations by the Customs
Authority so as to minimize demurrage charges or other loss or damage to shipment at the airport, seaport and railway station; issue clearing instruction to vessel owners, air carriers and their representatives and agents; assigns approved documents to clearing assistance for clearance;
• Ensures that imported goods are safely cleared from the bonded warehouse and are delivered without delay to consignees and ensures their written confirmation of receipt indicating the conditions of the goods;
• Assist staff members in the exportation of their personal effects by advising on their privileges and obligations; solicits quotation for the collection, packing and dispatch of official and personal consignments; selects a packer and arranges pre-survey and packing;
• Prepare briefs to the property Survey Board for decisions on case of unsuccessful insurance claims requiring the Board ‘s action;
• Other emergency or special duties as may be assigned periodically by the Chief of SCMS and Supervisor of the Unit;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of policies, practices and regulations on management of supplies, purchasing and logistics and ability to apply them in an organizational environment. Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports on a wide variety of data. Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations, as well as budgetary, administrative procedures, policies and directives, with respect to specialized tasks in supply management, logistics and transport operations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Must have passed the United Nations Global General Service Test (GGST) - refer to the Special Notice section for additional information.
Seven years of experience in logistics, procurement, warehousing, administrative services, or a related area is required.
For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Logistics/Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.