Economic Commission for Africa Communications Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Economic Commission for Africa Communications Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting ECA’s mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA’s five new strategic directions are: advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique; position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Communications and Media Relations Section (CRMS) in the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Section.
Within delegated authority, the main responsibility of the incumbent is to lead, advise and support the development and integration of communications and public advocacy into ECA's work in a systematic, coherent and effective manner.
• Advocacy: Takes the lead in policy advocacy strategies, including planning, development and implementation of related large or complex communication activities that could include rolling out initiatives at the Subregional level on critical ECA's policy recommendations and analyses.
• Works in close collaboration with key Divisions, Subregional Offices and partners to implement system-wide advocacy activities and to incorporate the key messages and themes into major ECA's events and products.
• Provides advice and expertise to managers, senior officers and other public information staff on a range of public policy issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/public relations issues/problems.
• Develops strategic partnerships with key constituencies to elicit support for and maximize impact of public advocacy; and serves as liaison to media partners.
• Prepares or oversees preparation of a diverse range of information communications products, including well-crafted media pitches, social media messaging in support of major ECA's initiatives.
• Drafts complex material for newsletters, periodicals and reports and edits drafts prepared by junior officers.
• Evaluates results and impact of communications and public advocacy activities as related to policy and reports on developments, trends (including Social Media) and policy influence
regarding the ECA.
• May represent the institution in meetings and conferences; and makes presentations to groups on UN activities and advocate issues of concern; organizes media coverage and media briefings, interviews; organizes requisite seminars, lectures, and public events on major issues and events in relation to policy advocacy.
• Builds information networks; supports the maintenance of web content and social media platforms.
• Assists in the day-to-day operation of the section to include participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the section, interpreting and disseminating policy, providing procedural advice, reporting systems, handling operational and administrative reporting and queries, preparing budget submissions, establishing and/or coordinating training programmes and monitoring and evaluating results.
• May coordinate and direct a team of public information staff and/or mentor and supervise the work of junior officers on specific projects.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of different aspects of public advocacy and communication. Ability to address a range of issues in the context of policy developments, public attitudes and local conditions. Ability to conceptualize, design and implement public advocacy strategies on issues of economic and
social transformation. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
Technical conceptual knowledge, understanding and application of social media trends, strategic political communication as well as media partnerships, Research to Action and Theory of Change. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships.
Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
Advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in political communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Additional certification training or academic exposure to persuasion in policy discourse is an advantage.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in communication and public advocacy, public information, journalism, political communication, or related social science area is required.
Experience with crafting and leading large-scale advocacy activities aimed at policy influence and adoption at the international level, especially on social and economic transformation issues, is desirable.
Experience working in an international context or multilateral institution is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Communications Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.