DRC Head of Programme Jobs in Nigeria
DRC Head of Programme Jobs in Nigeria
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to lead the technical coordination and strategy of DRC’s activities in Nigeria and oversee a committed team consisting of a WASH & Shelter Manager, Protection Manager, Livelihoods Manager, Food Security & Livelihoods Manager, and Programme Development and Quality Manager.
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit - the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
About the job
The Head of Programme (HoP) is responsible for strategic leadership, technical guidance, and management of the Programme team for DRC in Nigeria. The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and is responsible for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors. The Head of Programme is responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas and plays a lead role in fundraising activities and external representation.
The main responsibilities and tasks of the Head of Programme are:
• Lead and manage the programme staff (including people planning, performance, well-being and development).
Project management and development
• Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements and in close collaboration with the Area Managers.
• Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
• Deliver inputs to programme strategy and identify opportunities for new projects
• Lead assessments for emergency or longer term programming in existing or new project locations
• Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals with support from country team
• Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors
• Implement and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running
• Serve as focal point for the development on country and sector strategies – in close collaboration with the technical leads and the Country Director.
• Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors.
• Ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor.
• Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in ensuring strategic programming coherent with DRC’s operational platforms, coordinating DRC’s programme development, strengthening DRC’s programme quality, standards and learning, and enforcing DRC’s accountability and M&E frameworks.
• Represent DRC on behalf of the Country/Regional Director upon agreement with authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partner.
• Function as Country Director during his/her absence if necessary.
• Other duties as agreed with the Country Director
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of
Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC.
In addition to the above, the Head of Programme may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Country Director - but always in the scope of this job description.
To be successful on this role we expect you to posses the following:
Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
In lieu of the above, a Bachelor’s degree and several years of relevant experience.
Full professional proficiency in English
Proficiency in Hausa or other Nigerian languages is considered an asset but not a requirement.
At least 7 years' experience in relevant field.
At least 4 years' experience with people management
Experience in managing program operations, including at country senior management level
Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; DRC Head of Programme Jobs in Nigeria
Find Latest Jobs in Nigeria Today - Recruitment in Nigeria Job - Nigerian Jobs - in Nigeria - Job Vacancies in Nigeria
Search our career portal & find the latest Nigerian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Nigeria.
Jobs in Nigeria - banking jobs in Nigeria, IT jobs in Nigeria, accounting jobs in Nigeria, NGO jobs in Nigeria, business administration in Nigeria, ICT jobs in Nigeria, UN jobs in Nigeria, procurement jobs in Nigeria, education jobs in Nigeria, hospital jobs in Nigeria, human resources jobs in Nigeria, engineering jobs in Nigeria, teaching jobs in Nigeria, and other careers in Nigeria.
Oil and Gas job vacancies in Nigeria, MTN jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria for fresh graduates.
Federal government jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria Federal Civil Service.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Nigeria posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.