Devex Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert Jobs in Kenya
Devex Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert Jobs in Kenya
Job Details: Devex Talent Solutions is assisting Tanager, an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity in looking for a Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert will lead the design and provision of technical services to IGNITE clients, supporting them to design, implement, and monitor nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities and nutrition-sensitive business strategies.
The Nutrition Expert will also provide thought leadership on the development of tools, resources, and models that will facilitate the integration of nutrition into agriculture interventions and institutions’ way of doing business. The Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert will report to the IGNITE Deputy Team Leader.
Tanager is implementing two programs with a focus on gender mainstreaming and nutrition integration. The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE works with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business.
Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Current project clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
The African Poultry Multiplication Initiative (APMI) is a two-year investment with the primary objective to provide technical assistance (TA) to three APMI poultry companies to reach APMI’s goals of increasing women’s access to poultry production resources and increasing consumption of chicken and eggs by rural communities in Nigeria and Tanzania. Tanager works with the poultry companies to help them understand the value of gender and nutrition integration, as well as helping them design messages or outreach strategies that will allow them to reach their objectives.
Tanager is seeking a Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya, to lead the design and provision of technical services to IGNITE clients, supporting them to design, implement, and monitor nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities and nutrition-sensitive business strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Support IGNITE clients with the development, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of nutrition-sensitive interventions in agriculture
• Lead the analysis of available desk research and field assessments, as appropriate, to identify nutrition-sensitive approaches and social behaviour change interventions that increase consumption of safe, nutritious food and enhance women’s empowerment.
• Co-create the design and implementation of interventions that increase household production, access to, purchase, and consumption of nutrient-rich foods.
• Apply gender best practices to introduce innovative approaches to address barriers to intrahousehold allocation of food and joint decision making over household nutrition, income expenditure, and production decisions.
• Design and conduct participatory training and workshops on nutrition-sensitive agriculture for clients.
• Develop and test out capacity building tools and approaches that integrate both gender and nutrition into the design and implementation of agriculture activities.
• Support clients in the development, refinement, and/or roll-out of nutrition-sensitive institutional policies, procedures and practices.
Provide technical thought leadership on identification of effective and efficient models that increase equitable consumption of safe, affordable, nutritious food year-round.
• Contribute to development of case studies that make the business case for integrating nutrition into agriculture activities and business plans.
• Collaborate with evaluation partners in designing tools and evaluations that identify most effective and efficient
models for increasing equitable consumption of safe, affordable, nutritious food year-round.
Support local service providers to expand the reach of IGNITE technical support services.
• Create and nurture strong and long-term relationships with IGNITE clients.
• Serve as IGNITE point of contact on select client engagements, shepherding clients through the various phases of an IGNITE engagement and ensuring their needs are addressed at each stage.
• In consultation with the Team Leader, address any concerns and complaints raised by the client.
Provide thought leadership to Tanager in other nutrition-sensitive agriculture investments
• Contribute technical input into the pursuit and design of nutrition-sensitive agriculture interventions in Tanager’s future new business opportunities.
• Train Tanager staff in field offices on the importance of nutrition integration, as appropriate.
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• Bachelor’s and master’s degree combination in nutrition, public health, agriculture, development studies, or other relevant disciplines around the nexus of agriculture, nutrition, and gender.
• Minimum of 8 years’ work experience with at least 5 years’ experience facilitating training on nutrition-sensitive agriculture, leading nutrition analysis, and identifying nutrition-sensitive and SBC interventions for agriculture programs or organizations; designing and implementing tools and approaches to support institutions in integrating nutrition in their agriculture work.
• Demonstrated experience integrating nutrition into agriculture projects and knowledge of nutrition-sensitive agriculture concepts in sub-Saharan Africa; experience in West and East Africa preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in offering technical assistance or advisory services in the agriculture sector and with a focus on nutrition integration.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and proven successful ability to design and conduct training and workshops and lead interviews, focus groups, and other formative research methodologies.
• Demonstrated ability to develop evidence-based recommendations and interventions to achieve nutrition outcomes in agriculture.
• Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
• Understanding of gender-integrated agriculture concepts in Africa and ability to integrate a gender lens into nutrition-sensitive approaches.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with agricultural market systems, rural producers, farmers’ associations, agribusinesses, private sector agricultural production, marketing, or sales, and/or governments with an understanding of key entry points for nutrition integration.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to build relationships and rapport with teams, staff, and clients and navigate challenging or unexpected circumstances with creativity, calm, and positivity. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company on issues that could be complex or sensitive in nature.
• Excellent client relationship management skills.
• Adaptable and innovative. Collaborative and open to feedback. Able to work independently and in a small team setting.
• Strong analytical skills, including ability to gather and analyze a variety of information pertaining to issues and to develop appropriate recommendations for action.
• Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
• Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Fluency in English, written and oral, required; French language skills strongly desired.
• Travel in Sub-Saharan Africa expected 40%.
• Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply.
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Devex Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.