Amref SPARC Director Jobs in Kenya
Amref SPARC Director Jobs in Kenya
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organization based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is for lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref
Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 700 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $90 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information visit our website www.amref.org
Overview of the Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Centre The Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Centre (SPARC) – a resource hub hosted by Amref Health Africa with technical support from Results for Development (R4D) – is aimed at strengthening strategic health purchasing (SHP) capacity in Sub-Saharan Africa by connecting existing regional expertise and matching it with country demand to make better use of resources for health. Our vision is to empower countries with
knowledge and practical tools to make access to affordable and quality health care a reality for all. SPARC is a complementary resource and partner to the many health financing initiatives on the African continent and globally. SPARC is supported by Amref Health Africa as the institutional host and Results for Development (R4D) as the core technical partner.
SPARC is not just a resource center — it is a movement. SPARC is engaging individuals from stakeholder groups across sub-Saharan Africa to understand, talk about and advocate for strategic purchasing as a way to make better use of limited resources for universal health coverage (UHC) and to hold decision-makers accountable for effective health spending. We are also working with partners to change how technical assistance is provided — tapping into and deepening regional expertise and building a coaching approach that emphasizes learning by doing. We are creating a network of regional experts who can support countries to develop practical, home-grown solutions that advance their strategic purchasing objectives.
SPARC Director The Director is ultimately responsible for the overall leadership and management of SPARC and all aspects of its operations in sub-Saharan Africa. This involves the strategic oversight and execution of:
Program planning, implementation and innovation,
Financial oversight, and
The Director is responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, and quality implementation of activities align with SPARC’s mandate.
The Director is expected to perform the following duties:
Strategic Direction and Leadership
• Identify, assess, and inform Results for Development and Amref Health Africa about trends and opportunities for strategic health purchasing in Africa.
• Work with Results for Development and Amref Health Africa to set the strategic direction for SPARC.
• Review the strategy constructively and openly to contribute to effective decision making.
• Provide progressive, visionary leadership for SPARC in line with identified needs.
• Undertake activities that enhance SPARC’s profile.
Program Implementation & Oversight
• Ensure that work-plans are developed and implemented that further the achievement of SPARC strategies.
• Work with the Amref and R4D teams to ensure the development of activities that contribute to the sustainability (financial, approach, impact etc.) of SPARC.
• Lead identification of country demand for strategic health purchasing support, engagement with country stakeholders, and the design and implementation of packages of support based on identified demand.
• Oversee the development of a pipeline of coaches and mentors to provide coaching and mentoring support in strategic health purchasing to countries across sub-Saharan Africa.
• Oversee the development of strategic purchasing knowledge products and their effective dissemination.
• Ensure that SPARC meets established program (fiduciary and operational) standards and funder compliance regulations.
Monitor delivery of the programs and services for quality improvement.
• Ensure timely submission of grant deliverables including work plans, progress and financial reports.
• Establish and maintain relations with governments, ministries of health, health
purchasing institutions, research and policy institutions across sub-Saharan Africa to facilitate collaboration on strategic health purchasing.
• Develop and sustain partnerships with international, regional and local technical partners to enhance programme development and service delivery.
• Cultivate partnerships with donors (foundations, institutional etc) for increased investments towards SPARC.
Human Resources Planning and Management
• Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and service delivery.
• Ensure that skills and experience of SPARC staff are consistent with its business needs for providing quality in present and future services
• Implement a performance management process which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting annual performance reviews.
• Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
• Support a thriving work environment that attracts, optimizes and retains high performing talent.
• Drive the Amref staff culture initiatives to enhance collaboration across the organization.
Page 3 of 4
Financial Planning and Management
• Oversee budgeting and financial management processes for SPARC activities.
• In partnership with the Amref team, oversee the development and implementation of fund-raising plans to increase funding for SPARC activities.
• Administer SPARC funds according to the approved budgets and provide requisite reports.
• Communicate with stakeholders both locally and internationally to keep them informed of SPARC’s work and solicit support and commitment.
• Form alliances that promote strategic health purchasing in sub-Saharan Africa.
Risk & Quality Management
• Identify and evaluate the risks to SPARC and implement measures to mitigate the risks.
• Oversee the development and effective implementation and maintenance of a quality management system.
Required Qualifications and experience
• Advanced degree in health economics, health financing, health policy, public health, or related field.
• Solid experience leading diverse teams and preferably managing a regional hub.
• 10 years of experience in a health financing, universal health coverage, health systems strengthening or health policy role at a senior level.
• Demonstrated experience of contributing to national/international health financing, health systems reform or UHC strategy and policy development.
• Experience and strong reputation working with or liaising with government institutions and multilateral organizations and institutions would be an advantage.
• Demonstrated leadership showing strategic thinking in designing and executing projects, including steering work planning, managing and mentoring colleagues, and overseeing compliant and cost effective use of resources to deliver on objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of current issues in UHC.
• Project management skills.
• Strong skills in process facilitation and stakeholder management across diverse groups, including government and development partners.
• Understanding of collaborative working methods.
• Ability to set priorities and handle multiple competing time and resource demands; highly organized.
• Decisiveness and ability to reach timely decisions and initiate action appropriately.
• Entrepreneurship, sound commercial judgment and instinct.
• Ability to follow-up on all problems and issues brought to attention.
• Willingness to travel throughout sub-Saharan Africa
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with cross cultural teams.
• Fluency in English (fluency in French a plus) including excellent written and verbal communication skills, report writing and presentation skills.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Amref SPARC Director Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.