African Union Director Conflict Management Jobs in Ethiopia
African Union Director Conflict Management Jobs in Ethiopia
Purpose of Job To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Conflict Management Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
• Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
• Manages and supervises employees within the Department, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
• Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
• Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
• Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Department;
• Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
• Leads the Department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
• Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
• Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
• Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
• Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
• Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
• Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department;
• Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
• Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
• Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
• Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Department
• Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Department.
• Strategic, tactical and operational advice and management
• Provides strategic advice on conflict and crisis management in Africa to the Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security (PAPS) of the African Union Commission
• Co-ordinates the development of Common African Positions on relevant political, peace and security issues and the provision of technical support to AU member states
• Develops overarching strategies and provide tactical and strategic direction to African Union-led peace support operations, mediation and dialogue interventions
• Oversees and ensures effective execution of activities of the AU Agenda 2063 Flagship projects in the field of governance and peace and security, ensuring complementarity and synergy in the implementation of the African Governance Architecture (AGA) and the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA)
• Identifies, analyzes and monitors developments and emerging issues with respect to the implementation of African Peace and Security Architecture and other African Union Governance, Peace and Security Instruments
• Assesses implications, make recommendations to the Commissioner for PAPS and to the African Union Leadership as well as Members of the Peace and Security Council of the African Union on possible strategies, policies and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated and assigned objectives.
• Provides strategic guidance
to the Crisis Management components of the PAPS Department.
• Ensures regular, timely and high-quality reporting to the African Union Leadership and the Peace and Security Council on developments and issues pertaining to the mandate.
• Reviews inputs and reports of the Crisis Management Department to ensure synergy and complementarity in the implementation of the PAPS Department and the African Union’s mandate.
• Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with all stakeholders involving in crisis and conflict management matters in Africa and other national and international partners on coordination and peace and security policy matters.
• Liaises /Coordinates with the UN, RECs/RMs and other international organization on matters related to Political Affairs, Peace and Security in Africa.
• Ensures adequate support to relevant decision-making organs on crisis and conflict management related matters / Coordinate and maintain good working relations with the Directorate for Governance and Conflict Preventions and other Departments/Directorates/Offices of the Commission and other Agencies of the African Union;
• Develops and maintains appropriate working relations with partners of the African Union, in the fields of Political Affairs, Peace and Security.
• Ensures overall quality and timeliness of the services and solutions provided by the PAPS Department
• Manages the Conflict Management Directorate, set goals and determine priorities, ensure a cohesive effort, reallocate resources as needed, appraise performance, promote and facilitate staff development and training, including ensuring compliance with mandatory training;
• Any other related assignments as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in Political Science, Peace and Security Studies, Law, International Relations, or other related Social Sciences studies, with 15 years experience out of which 8 years are at managerial level and 5 at supervisory level.
• Experience in political engagement, planning, analysis, reporting and negotiation in an international setting is required.
• Experience in managing a large team or office is required.
• Experience working in an intergovernmental system handling peace and security related field operations (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and programmes) within UN agencies,) a similar international organization or non-governmental organization in a conflict or post-conflict setting is required.
• Leadership and management skills
• Research and analytical skills
• Interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Planning and organizing skills
• Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, standards and processes
• Communication, presentation and report writing skills
• Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer software systems
• Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
Communicating with impact
Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
Drive for Results
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; African Union Director Conflict Management Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.