African Economic Research Consortium Manager of Research Jobs in Kenya
African Economic Research Consortium Manager of Research Jobs in Kenya Job DetailsEstablished in 1988, African Economic Research Consortium is a premier capacity building institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa.
AERC’s mission rests on two premises
first, that development is more likely to occur where there is sustained sound management of the economy;
second, that such management is more likely to happen where there is an active, well-informed cohort of locally based professional economists to conduct policy-relevant research.
AERC builds that cohort through a programme that has three primary components: research, training and policy outreach.
The organization integrates high quality economic policy research, postgraduate training and policy outreach within a vast network of researchers, universities and policy makers across Africa and beyond.
We are seeking to fill the position of Manager of Research to be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with travel responsibilities across the continent and reporting to the Director of Research.
Overall Job Purpose
This role supports in all aspects of intellectual leadership, strategic direction and management of the research programmes with special emphasis on Thematic Research, Collaborative Research, commissioned studies and special workshops.
The position holder provides liaison with researchers and monitors their progress according to agreed criteria, communicates with, and provides support to project coordinators, steering resource persons and other members of the research network.
Within the mandate of the Research Department and under the guidance of the Director of Research, the Manager of Research has the responsibility for seeing that decisions are made within a value for money culture, and that Departmental performance standards are met.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the formulation and coordination of new research projects.
• Reviewing final research papers being considered for publication in AERC’s Research Paper Series and other publications and providing progress reports on departmental activities to AERC Committee of Directors, the various governance organs of AERC (the AERC Board, the Programme Committee) and donors.
Active Participation/ Liaison with Research Network
• Managing the research process by liaising with, and supporting researchers, resource persons and other members of the AERC network to achieve stated objectives of the various research activities.
Coordination with other Departments and Divisions
• Managing the calendar of AERC flagships events and projects supported by the programme administrators and assistants.
• Taking the lead in coordinating inputs from the Department into the preparation of the annual Programme of Work and Budget and revisions thereof for the Research Programme as well as documentation for the Programme Committee meeting.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Understanding of Economics and key economic issues in Africa.
• Very good familiarity with statistical and econometric software and management of large data set.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in French is an added advantage.
• Well organized and able to multi-task and meet deadlines with attention to details.
• Good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability and readiness to travel in Africa.
Qualification and Experience
• PhD in Economics, Macroeconomics, development economics or other specialized fields of economics.
• At least five years relevant experience.
• Strong track record of publications in economics.
• Experience in coordination and management of large-scale policy-oriented research in economics is a requirement.
• Experience in coordination of a network of Senior Researchers.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to visit AERC’s website at www.aercafrica.org to view the detailed descriptions of duties and required qualifications.
All applications should be sent by Friday, April 10th 2020.
Women applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the expected volume of applications, AERC will only enter into further correspondence with short-listed candidates.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.