Action Against Hunger Program Manager - EUTF Jobs in Uganda
Action Against Hunger Program Manager - EUTF Jobs in Uganda
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security.
Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia.
Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated..
Summary of Position
• Lead and manage the project team to deliver quality and timely implementation of the EUTF RISE
• Project in refugee settlements in Adjumani, in line with EU guidelines, Action Against Hunger Uganda country strategy, Action Against Hunger -USA core values and mandate.
• The Program Manager role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
• Provide technical and programmatic guidance in project design, planning, implementation and monitoring to ensure timely delivery of quality project results and reports.
• Collaborate and coordinate with local authorities, UN, other aid agencies and consortium partners for quality monitoring, review and implementation of the project.
• Secure collaboration of thematic technical leaders and Program Management Unit –PMU- (compliance and MEAL officers) to deliver quality results to beneficiaries within budget and in line with Action Against Hunger policies and EU guidelines. Build and manage a cohesive team of project officers and field supervisors to ensure efficient and timely implementation of project activities.
• Represent Action Against Hunger to relevant field coordination forums including, with consortium partners, government, UN, other humanitarian agencies and any other stakeholders to network and ensure visibility of the EUTF RISE project and Action Against Hunger.
• Develop capacity and supervise staff to effectively implement the project to deliver quality results that meet the need beneficiaries, standards of the donor and expectation of other key stakeholders. Provide practical and timely technical guidance to staff in planning, executing, monitoring and reporting on activities within budget and in line with donor guidelines and
Essential Job Duties
• Generate monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve targets set out in the project proposal;
• Update the monthly Project Implementation Plan (PIP);
• Conduct regular monitoring field visits to ensure learning and quality;
• Support the development and ensure adoption of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and
• Learning tools and plans in collaboration with the PMU;
• Update the monthly Activity Progress Report (APR), and any other reports as may be required;
• Submit success stories (at least one per quarter);
• Maintain, document and handover complete project records to support audit;
• Identify and monitor risks, or emerging issues and inform senior management accordingly;
• Coordinate with support department to ensure smoot implementation of the project (finance,
• logistics, HR).
• Ensure that staff are provided full induction and briefed on relevant components of the project;
• Deploy and facilitate project staff to implement activities;
• Supervise implementation to ensure activities are completed effectively and in time;
• Keep staff aware of any changes in the project and in the wider organization;
• Ensure staff are aware of and operating by humanitarian principles and other codes of conduct;
• Champion compliance with the Charter and the fight against fraud, corruption and abuse of power; alert the Field Coordinator and / or Country Director in the event of fraud, corruption or abuse of power;
• Ensure constant coordination and communication across the team;
• Define objectives, update
staff job descriptions and facilitate regular performance appraisals with support of the HR team;
• Appraise staff to identify and respond to staff capacity needs;
• In close collaboration with HR department manage salary database information, leaves request, disciplinary matters and any staff request/concern as per Action Against Hunger USA – Uganda staff regulations;
• Ensure regular staff meetings and share minutes with the PMU and HR Kampala.
Gender Equality Commitments
• Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information;
• Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance;
• Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
• Ensure provision of project Supply Plan monthly update;
• Update the monthly Budget Follow-Up (BFU) and forecast;
• Ensure expenditure is within budget;
• Ensure that budget is implemented in compliance with donor regulations.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
• The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least Six days (48 hours) per week.
• Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
• Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
• University degree in agriculture, or in a field related to food security and nutrition, environmental management, social sciences, development studies. Training in Project Management is an added advantage;
• At least 4 years’ experience in community based social development programming in food,
livelihood, nutrition security or health; with at least 2 years in a senior management position;
• Experience working with local authorities and other social development partners.
• Excellent team management, organizational and leadership skills;
• Strong strategic planning, analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Demonstrated experience in budget management;
• Excellent written and spoken English;
• Proficient in MS Office Applications;
• Willingness to work in challenging areas, with limited amenities and strenuous conditions.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and cover letter by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org stating the title of position Program Manager EUTF on the subject line of the email.
Closing date for applications is May 28, 2020 at 5pm EAT
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.