IOM National Migration and Health M&E Officer Job in Nairobi, Kenya
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Vacancy No: IOMKE/SVN/074/2016
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade NO-A
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 21 October 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.Context:
Under the direction of the Migration and Health M&E Lead based in Pretoria, South Africa, and under the direct supervision of the PHAMESA Health Programme Officer responsible for East Africa based in Nairobi, the incumbent will work on M&E closely with colleagues in East and Southern Africa, in particular with regional and country M&E colleagues.
The core functions of the National M&E Officer are the following:
(1) to support the development of M&E components of new projects,
(2) to implement PHAMESA M&E activities and standard operating procedures and
(3) to effectively report upon programme achievements in East Africa following global IOM M&E guidance. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The National Migration and Health M&E Officer will provide technical support and advice to the PHAMESA programme to support effective M&E design and implementation.
He/she will also contribute to the development of new health projects or programmes at the country and regional level.
The National Migration and Health M&E Officer acts as the main link between the country and regional offices’ respective M&E units in matters relating to PHAMESA.
He/she will also provide M&E support for the Kenyan country office under the direction of the Programme Support Officer. More specifically, he/she will:
1. Provide necessary technical support on M&E to ensure that all newly developed projects are results-based;
2. Develop tools for M&E;
3. Support programmes in compiling and analysing data as well as in generating reports that inform management on programme status and areas of improvement;
4. Support the Migration and Health M&E Lead in capacity building of staff members on result-based management and PHAMESA M&E;
5. Provide the support needed in the design and implementation of internal and external evaluations;
6. Review country and regional level quarterly annual reports and provide feedback to programme implementation teams;
7. Assist in design and implementation of M&E activities for PHAMESA in East Africa by providing support to IOM’s implementing partners, country offices and migration health colleagues in the following areas:
a. Preparation of annual and quarterly work plans and activity-based budgets and reports;
b. Development and implementation of new M&E frameworks and data collection tools on all projects;
c. Collection, analysis and reporting of M&E data on a quarterly basis;
d. Capacity building of migration health officers and IOM’s implementing partners on M&E, including data collection methods and reporting;
e. Develop and update programme database if necessary;
f. Provide necessary assistance in programme/project evaluations and reviews, as requested.
8. Assist M&E counterparts in Pretoria in revising tools and guidance notes that pertain to the operationalization of PHAMESA and M&E systems of projects related to it;
9. Facilitate the implementation of evaluation recommendations as necessary;
10. Assist the Migration and Health M&E Lead in identifying M&E issues relating to data quality and in developing M&E trainings for responsible country officers and implementing partners according to their specific
needs;Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Relevant Honours i.e. Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree in M&E, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Statistics and/or other relevant field;
Knowledge and experience in research methods, statistics and at least one data analysis software;
Knowledge of migration dynamics in East and Southern Africa.
Relevant experience in M&E of development and/or emergency programming, preferably with large international organizations in East and/or Southern Africa;
Experience in project design and implementation, preferably the East and Southern Africa regions;
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of and Kiswahili and French and/or Portuguese is highly desirable.
Accountability - Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
Client Orientation - Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
Continuous Learning - Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
Communication - Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
Creativity and Initiative - Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
Leadership and Negotiation - Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
Performance Management - Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
Planning and Organizing - Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
Professionalism - Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
Teamwork - Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team
Technological Awareness - Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Resource Mobilization - Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O. Box 55040 - 00200,
or send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 21 October 2016
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!