Since its inception the Vodacom Journalist of the Year competition has contributed significantly towards raising the bar in pursuit of journalistic excellence.
The winning entries are an opportunity for journalists to be saluted by their peers and the public for courageous, objective and honest reporting.
One winner will be selected in each of the 14 categories, from five Vodacom regions around the country.
Regional winners will each receive R7 500 in cash and a certificate.
These winners will automatically be entered into the national competition.
The regional winners will be invited to attend the final awards ceremony where a national winner will be announced in each of the 14 categories.
The national winners will receive R15 000 in cash and a certificate.
Finally, the Vodacom Journalist of the Year will be announced at the awards ceremony - and will receive the grand prize of R125 000 in cash, as well as the opportunity to donate R125 000 to an official charity of his/her choosing.
* Each entry is required in triplicate to allow for the extensive judging process.
* Each entry must have its own entry form.
* Please provide three copies of each completed entry form.
* A maximum of three entries per category will be accepted from one individual.
Applications containing more than three submissions will be disqualified.
* Submissions must be entered in the Vodacom region where published or broadcast.
A piece which is published or broadcast nationally can be entered in the region closest to the contributor's offices.
* A piece may only be entered in one region.
* Every entry in each category is eligible for the Regional awards.
* Regional Award winners are eligible for the National Awards.
* Both Regional and National nominations for the Editors Choice Award are restricted to winning only one overall prize.
A nomination into the Editors Choice Award will not count as an entry into any other category of the competition.
* Submissions must relate to work produced in South Africa.
* Proof of publication or broadcast date must be supplied.
* Entrants are to submit a compulsory background information, and a motivation to the judges as to why they believe the submitted material deserves to win - this is essential for all entries.
For example, a description of circumstances affecting the story's development, including challenges such as time and/or financial constraints.
* Please remember to submit one high resolution head & shoulders photo of yourself along with your entry.
* For Feature submissions, a body of work may be submitted as one entry, although it should cover only one subject.
* It is the entrant's responsibility to ensure entries are legible, audible and viewable.
No entry fee is charged.
Deadline for Application: 28 May
For more information and application, visit: Vodacom Award Website