Communication & Administrative Support Officer
Akiba Uhaki, the Human Rights and Social Justice Fund, is a regional grant making organization dedicated to supporting and accompanying human rights and social justice related organizations in East Africa.
In furtherance of its mandate and objectives, Akiba Uhaki Foundation seeks to recruit a Communication and Administrative Support Officer to provide communications and administrative support services to the organization.
Working closely with the Finance and Programs staff, the main responsibilities of the office will include:
1. Advise the organization on media, communications and publications strategy and tactics.
2. Identify opportunities for media-based advocacy on the issues of concern to the organization and its grantees.
3. Draft press releases, media advisories and organize press conferences and other press events, and assist with press placement.
4. Maintain an extensive list of media contacts (international and domestic) and develop and maintain relations with key journalists on the range of issues of concern to the organization.
5. In cooperation with the Program staff, develop content and assist in refining publication concepts and revising early drafts of publications and other printed materials.
6. Review and manage website content as well as handle issues related to internet access.
7. Produce a periodic newsletter on human rights and social justice in East Africa and manage e-debates on issues pertaining to the work of the organization as and when necessary.
The suitable candidate should have the following qualifications:
Three years experience in either journalism, communications, media awareness, web development or administrative work in the human rights and social justice sector.
A degree in communications, journalism or other relevant fields; relevant experience especially in information technology, editing and administration work can substitute
Extensive contacts in the East African and international media as well as professional contacts in the human rights and social justice sector.
Knowledge and a passion for human rights and social justice issues in East Africa, and for covering these issues from a human rights and social justice perspective.
Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Proficiency in French and Swahili will be an added advantage.
Good organizational skills and ability to develop innovative yet practical solutions to challenges encountered in typical working situations.
Extensive multimedia skills and ability to learn new software applications.
High level of self-motivation and creativity as well as the ability to work independently when necessary, as well as a member of a team.
Highly effective multitasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize, and organize workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure in a fast-paced and multicultural environment.
Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with diverse array of people
Demonstrable experience in organizing meetings, conferences and workshops.
Well developed computer and web development skills.
Integrity and professional discretion essential.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and salary history to:
For more information visit: Communication & Administrative Support Officer
The Selection Committee
The Human Rights and Social Justice Fund
PO Box 27611 – 00100 Nairobi, KENYA
Email: info [at] akibauhaki.org