The Foundation offers the International Scholarship Program to support a family medicine educator from outside the US to participate in the STFM Annual Spring Conference.
• Advance family medicine education worldwide.
• Assist nations with need and potential for growth.
• Support the development of outstanding future leaders internationally.
• Foster relationships with family medicine educators and programs in the United States.
The program rotates its world region of focus from year to year. For this scholarship is being made available to family physicians/general practitioners from.
Africa will be the region. Award:
The nominee selected will receive an award of up to $3,500 (US dollars) to support travel expenses to attend the STFM Annual Spring Conference, April 24-28, in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada.
If feasible, additional time will be spent in the United States visiting family medicine programs and the offices of the American Academy of Family Physicians and STFM in Leawood, Kansas.
• Must be between five and ten years of first faculty appointment.
• Must be fluent in English.
• Must have the support of the country's family/general practice organization.
• Must have a US sponsor to help coordinate the visit.
• Must have completed advanced training, such as a residency in FM/GP.
• Must have potential of becoming future leader in family medicine.
• Personal need for financial support.
• Personal potential for contributing to the development of FM in their home country.
• Strength of proposed activities during the US visit.
• Strength of proposed activities upon returning to the home country.
• Regional needs and potential for FM development.
Individuals who are interested in the program should submit the following to Kay Frank, executive assistant of the STFM Foundation:
• Letter expressing why you wish to receive the award.
• Letter of support from your home institution.
• Letter of support from your country's family/general practice organization.
• Letter of support from US sponsor.
• Copy of current curriculum vitae.