Radio Technician - Sudan
Location: Southern Sudan
Internews® Network is an international media development organization based in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews Network is currently seeking an experienced FM radio engineer for the position of Radio Technician. The position is required to provide technical support, including the installation, maintenance, and upgrades of equipment and ICT support in community radio stations in remote parts of the region. The position is a roving, field-based position and requires living in the communities where the stations are operating. It involves providing ongoing training and mentoring, and building the technical capacity of community radio station staff in remote parts of the region. The Radio Technician will work under the supervision of and report to the Community Radio Technical Manager.
The position requires experience in small low-tech radio stations preferably in the developing world. The successful candidate will need to be resilient, resourceful and self motivated. The work requires extensive travel to remote parts of Southern Sudan. Competitive salary and benefits package.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for 5 community radio stations located throughout South Sudan
- Help with installing and setting up all equipment needs for the construction and outfitting of one new radio station
- Determine on-going support and equipment needs per station and assist with purchase, upgrades and replacement of equipment and parts as needed
- Train on-site, potentially inexperienced staff in basic maintenance of equipment and the basics of broadcast operations
- Assist with developing training materials and manuals for the stations
- Provide IT support for computers, including software and hardware
- Develop temporary/back-up solutions based upon the materials available at site when necessary
- Set-up and troubleshoot wireless networking solutions
- Set-up, operate and optimise Windows-based computers and networks
- At least 2 years working knowledge and experience in the field with FM Radio Broadcast systems
- Understanding of FM transmission principles, antennas, and towers
- Knowledge of analogue and digital studio equipment
- Familiarity with alternative energy systems, including wind and solar
- Strong communication, reporting and planning skills and ability to exhibit a process driven approach to the work
- Willingness to work in harsh environments with limited infrastructure
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, flexible, and a good problem-solver
- Ability to travel within Southern Sudan and the Three Areas. Willingness to spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions.
- Recognised degree or diploma in electronics or associated field
Application Deadline: 30th November.
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications should forward a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (re-write in standard format), placing “RT – SD - IN” in the subject line. EOE M/F/D/V