Plant Biosciences Research Support Scientist, ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Essential Skills and Qualifications will include:
• PhD in modern plant biology - molecular biology, biotechnology,
biochemistry or genomic sciences - with broad experience and interest
in biosciences research
• In-depth knowledge and experience of a wide range of bioscience
technology including new and advanced applications of modern biology
and equipment requirements.
• Extensive experience of the technology transfer/ capacity building
in developing countries and ability to implement and adapt novel
technologies to facilitate research.
• Experience in creating new scientific infrastructure to support
plant research and establishing new research projects.
• Record of scientific achievement in plant biological sciences,
including publications in peer-reviewed journals.
• Proven skills in mentoring, training and supervising scientists,
postgraduate students and technicians.
• Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to develop,
coordinate and facilitate bioscience training programs.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to maintain excellent
working relations with project leaders, scientists and technical staff.
• Work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• ILRI is looking specifically for a person with skills and experience
in modern plant science, including breeding, genetics, biochemistry,
molecular biology and requisite technologies.
Terms of Appointment: The initial contract for this position will be
for a three year term with the possibility of extension, subject to
satisfactory performance and the availability of funding. Salary,
dependent on experience, will be paid in US dollars.
excellent benefits including employer-paid medical, life and
disability insurance and retirement benefits.
annual leave travel and education allowances are also provided.
On-site furnished accommodation is provided, subject to availability,
or in the absence of suitable housing on site, a housing allowance.
Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae
and the names and addresses (including telephone, fax and email) of
three professional referees qualifications and work experience to:
The Human Resources Manager,
ILRI, P.O. Box 30709, Nairobi, 00100, Kenya;
The name and reference number(REF: PBRSS/T4/04/ 2007) of the position
for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the
envelopes of mailed, or on the fax or email applications by 31 May.
Qualified candidates from African countries, particularly women, are encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.