Call for Applications CARTA PhD Fellowships
The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) is an initiative of eight African universities, four African research institutes, and select northern partners.
CARTA offers an innovative model for doctoral training in sub-Saharan Africa to strengthen the capacity of participating institutions to conduct and lead internationally-competitive research.
The multi-disciplinary CARTA program is open to staff of participating institutions who are interested in conducting their PhD research on topics relevant to the broad fields of public and population health.
We welcome applications from any discipline, such as public health, demography, anthropology, communication, and economics, among others, as long as the research question aims to contribute to public and population health issues in Africa.
Over the medium-term, CARTA aims to produce a critical mass of high-quality graduates trained to address the complex issues surrounding health and development in Africa, retain them in the region, and provide them with a vibrant intellectual environment, as well as viable and challenging research and growth opportunities. CARTA aims to achieve reforms in higher education by:
1. Assisting universities to develop enriching and vibrant academic and research environments; and
2. Supporting promising African scholars who teach at affiliated universities to obtain high-quality doctoral training in public and population health-related fields.
CARTA is currently offering a collaborative doctoral training program in public and population health.
This program has been developed in response to the great challenges faced by Africa’s institutions of higher education in addressing the training and retention of the next generation of academics in the region.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Specifically, CARTA seeks to fund candidates who will be future leaders in their institutions; that is, young, capable, and committed individuals who, in time, will ensure that their universities will be the institutions of choice for future generations of academics and university administrators wishing to make a positive impact on public and population health in Africa.
Successful applicants will attend CARTA’s innovative series of Joint Advanced Seminars (JAS) for cohorts of doctoral students admitted and registered in the participating African universities.
Both the development and delivery of these courses are jointly-led by regional and international experts.
The seminars consist of didactic sessions, discussions, demonstrations, and practice labs.
These activities collectively serve to:
1. Expose students to key theories and concepts, seminal readings, and research methods of disciplines relevant to public and population health;
2. Train students in critical research skills; and
3. Build and maintain a network of researchers for scientific collaborations, professional support, and mutually beneficial exchange of scientific resources.
The advanced seminars are offered once annually for four years to each cohort and build skills and conceptual depth from year to year.
Each JAS runs for 3 to 4 weeks. Specific topics covered in each JAS include the following:
During the next academic year, the CARTA program is planning to offer up to 25 PhD fellowships.
The Fellowship, which is tenable at one of the participating African universities, includes the cost of fellows’ participation in the advanced seminars; a modest monthly stipend; small grants for research activities; a laptop loaded with relevant software; funds for travel to conferences, as well as costs for participating in joint program activities.
The fellowship runs for a maximum of four years.
Fellowships cover tuition fees, medical insurance, and other university fees in special circumstances only.
Partner institutions have committed to continue paying Fellows’ salaries (or equivalent) and to modify workloads for the fellows to enable them to fully participate in CARTA organized activities pertaining to their PhD program and also to concentrate on their PhD studies.
Fellows are encouraged to seek supplemental funding to cover additional costs of their doctoral program.
Participating African Universities
Participating Research Institutes
1. Contact the CARTA focal person) at your institution to discuss your interest and obtain application materials. Application forms may also be downloaded from the CARTA website (www.cartafrica.org)
2. Submit your application to the local CARTA committee in your institution (also email a copy of all application materials to (firstname.lastname@example.org ), which will conduct the initial screening process and submit successful applications to the CARTA secretariat. The deadline for submissions is May 1.
3. If successful at the university selection level, the CARTA secretariat will inform and contact you to proceed to the next level
4. Successful applicants at the university selection level will be expected to:
5. Final fellowship decision, which is independent of the university application, will be communicated by CARTA secretariat by November 1.
Follow the links below to get CARTA Focal Persons in all the above institutions.
Scholarships in Australia » Scholarships in Belgium » Scholarships in Canada » Scholarships in Germany » Scholarships in Italy » Scholarships in Japan » Scholarships in Korea » Scholarships in Netherlands » Scholarships in UK » Scholarships in USA
PhD Fellowships in Public and Population Health phd research grants for developing countries carta fellows consortium for advanced research training in africa phd in population health sciences harvard public health phd stipend phd in population health online carta africa phd scholarship for developing countries phd public health scholarships for developing countries masters in public health scholarships for developing countries public health scholarships public health scholarships mph scholarships for developing countries mph scholarships for international students public health scholarships for international students in canada fully funded masters scholarships for developing countries exxonmobil scholarships in global health science PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries phd scholarship for developing countries 2018/19 phd scholarships for developing countries 2017 unesco scholarships for developing countries fully funded masters scholarships for developing countries scholarship for developing countries 2017 postgraduate scholarships for developing countries undergraduate scholarships for developing countries scholarships for developing countries in africa