PACN Africa UK Exchange Scholarships
PACN Africa-UK Scholarships provide the opportunity for African scientists who are employed in their industrial, academic or public service sectors to visit the UK.
The aim of the Africa-UK Scholarship is to exchange information and facilitate networking with the aim of establishing future long term research collaborations.
The call is open for any African scientist who wishes to visit an African or UK institution, or for any UK scientist who wishes to visit an African institution and who has an agreement or invitation from any UK or African institution to host their visit.
Eligibility of Applicant
Applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
Minimum academic qualification - Masters degree in relevant field
Research areas: Chemistry and Biology, including Biotechnology
Currently employed in Industry, Academia, Public service or registered PhD student in an African or an UK Institutions .
Submit a written confirmation of their employment in Industry, Academia, Public service or their student status.
Submit a written confirmation of acceptance of the host institution.
Submit a comprehensive programme proposal for the full period of the scholarship with an itemised list of the expected expenses associated.
The total value of the fellowship is up to £2,000 which should cover all costs including:
- Return ticket to the UK by economy class travel
- Cost of boarding and lodging in the UK or Africa
- Cost of visas, insurance, travel and subsistence directly connected with the visit programme
- The grant will be paid by the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) in advance directly to the applicant’s primary host in the UK, in which case the host institution will be responsible for disbursing funds to the individual as appropriate.
PACN Kenya office will provide the African scholar with the corresponding flights to/from the UK.
RSC will reimburse the costs of the flights for UK scholars visiting African institutions.
- Within one month after the end of the scholarship, the scholar will provide the RSC with a statement of the expenditure supported by receipts.
Money unspent at the end of the fellowship shall be returned to RSC.
- Within one month after the end of the scholarship, the scholar will also produce a short report on the visit.
Applicants MUST submit references from:
- Their immediate supervisor at the home institution, giving written permission for them to undertake the fellowship.
- Two independent referees, who should be acquainted with the applicant’s work and be prepared to referee their application.
- A letter from the host institution stating the agreement of the scholar’s visit.
Deadlines: September 15 and February 15 of each year.
Applications for PACN Africa-UK Scholarships may be sent to PACN Kenya office (by post, fax or email) or to the RSC (by email):
Mrs Ruth Odhiambo.
For more information, see: PACN Africa UK Scholarships Website
Department of Chemistry,
University of Nairobi,
P.O. Box 30197, 00100
Fax/Tel: +254 20 444 6140