AGRICULTURE Candidate’s Signature.........
JULY-OCTOBER 2010 Date ........................
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education - Trial Examination
Instructions to candidates
Write your name and index number in the spaces provided above
Sign and write the date of examination in the spaces provided above
This paper consists of THREE sections A, B and C
Answer ALL the questions in sections A and B and any TWO questions from section C
Answers should be written in the spaces provided.
For Examiner‘s Use Only
imageeeeeee SECTION A ( 30 MARKS)
Answer all the questions in this section in the spaces provided
1. Name two planting materials used in budding.(1 mark)
2. State four common signs/symptoms of viral diseases.(2 mark)
3. State four advantages of pure stand pastures(2 mark)
4. Give four reasons as to why cereals and legumes should be dried before storage. (2 marks)
5. (i) Name one example of a ﬁeld crop which require trellising (1/2 mark)
(ii) State ﬁve advantages of the above named practice.(2 1/2 mark)
6.Differentiate between farm planning and farm budgeting. (1 mark)
7.State four roles of the agriculture development corporation. (1 marks)
8.State three beneﬁts of agroforestry. ( 1 1/2 mark)
9.State ﬁve negative impacts of land fragmentation. (2 1/2 mark)
10.List down four materials used to make compost manure. (2 marks)
11.State three post-harvesting practices carried out on millet before storage. (1 1/2 mark)
12.Name three examples of insects with piercing and sucking mouth parts. (1 1/2 mark)
13. What is the importance of soil mineral matter. (1 mark)
14. State four characteristics of capillary water.(2 marks)
15. State four advantages of inter-cropping.(2 marks)
16. State three chemical methods of controlling crop diseases. ( 1 1/2 mark)
17. Give three types of capital used in the process of production. ( 1 1/2 mark)
SECTION B (20 MARKS)
Answer all the questions in this section
18. Below is an illustration of a stem cutting in a sleeve. Study it carefully and answer the questions following.
imageeeee (a) What is the major shortcoming of the above illustration. Give a reason for your - answer. (1 mark)
(b) State two advantages of using polythene sleeves. (2 marks)
(c) State two important steps taken when transplanting tree seedlings from the sleeve. (2 marks)
19. Study the textural classiﬁcation below and answer the questions beneath.
imageeeeeeeee (a) Fill the gaps as indicated by: (2 marks)
(ii) ............................ ..
(iii) ............................ ..
(iv) ............................ ..
(b) State two methods of determining the soil texture. (1 mark)
(c) State two characteristics of the clay particles. (2 marks)
20. The illustration below represents a method of fertilizer application. Study it carefully and answer the questions beneath. imageeeeeeee (a) Identify the method of fertilizer application illustrated above. (1 mark)
(b) Name the type of fertilizer recommended for this method of application. Give a reason for your answer. (2 marks)
(c) Name four other methods of applying fertilizers. (2 marks)
21. (a) Study the table below and ﬁll in the spaces. (3 marks)
imageeeeeee (b) What is the economic importance of Amaranthus spp. (1 mark)
(c) Give a reason as to why it is difficult to control lantana Camara. ( 1 mark)
SECTION C ( 40 MARKS)
Answer any two questions from this section.
22. (a) State and explain five factors which determine the quality of hay. (10 marks)
(b) Explain reasons as to why it’s necessary to prune ﬁeld crops. (10 marks)
23. (a) Discuss small scale farming under:
(i) Characteristic features. (6 marks)
(ii) Advantages.( 5 marks)
(b) State and explain the factors which affect rooting of cuttings.
24. (a) State and explain the management practices carried out in farm for maximum agroforestry output. (8 marks)
(b) Explain the criteria used to classify crop pests. (7 marks)
(c) Explain the importance of conserving soil and water. (5 marks)
Kenya Scholarships for Undergraduate Students » Kenya Scholarships for Postgraduate Students » Undergraduate Scholarships for Kenyan Students » Kenya Undergraduate Scholarships » Full Undergraduate Scholarships for Kenyans » Kenya Postgraduate Scholarships » Scholarships & Grants » Undergraduate Scholarships » Universities in Kenya » Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) » Colleges in Kenya » KASNEB Registration & Results » Secondary Schools Scholarships in Kenya » Undergraduate & Graduate Scholarships for Kenyans
Scholarships for African Students » Undergraduate Scholarships » African Women Scholarships & Grants » Developing Countries Scholarships » Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for Developing Countries » Fellowship Programs » Funding Grants for NGOs » Government Scholarships » LLM Scholarships » MBA Scholarships » PhD and Masters by Research Scholarships » Public Health Scholarships - MPH Scholarships » Refugees Scholarships » Research Grants » Scholarships and Grants
Scholarships in Australia » Scholarships in Belgium » Scholarships in Canada » Scholarships in Germany » Scholarships in Italy » Scholarships in Japan » Scholarships in Korea » Scholarships in Netherlands » Scholarships in UK » Scholarships in USA